Currently reading:
What is the best signal interface for PC ?

Discuss What is the best signal interface for PC ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

_q12x_

DIY
Reaction score
I mean.... the best and the easiest to use.
I remember back in the 2000's I used a serial interface, I think it was the printer serial port, 25 pins or similar. I believe I even used a mouse port as well, that versatile those systems were back then.
What I could do with it was ... program in C++ and pascal back then, using some imported dll's specific for communication with this serial port, I think it was port 40 or 25? It had a number is all I remember. And I could link to it any transistor base, back then I was working exclusively with BJT's, to light LED's, drive motors, beep some 8ohm I think they were speakers, drive a VU-meter LED bar I think directly from the port pins, without transistors, and also drive IC's , that was the time I learned about multiplexers and expanding the number of output pins. Also input sensors like LDR and buttons. I Loved that kind of easy and straight forward communication.
Today I dont know c++ or pascal anymore, but I am very good in c# and still use VS2010 because its very cool interface and very user friendly overall.
So I want you, to help me first of all, to find the hardware, the port I suppose or something more than a printer port, something more advanced and having more in/out's. The more the better. I want the best you can find for the moment. Best ideas or best adaptations, why not. As long as it's easy and stable to install and use.
And then, the software drivers and possible problems will appear along the way. I can debug a large majority of problems, I grow up debugging computer problems, so I have a 5'th sense for them. Im more concerned about the hardware part and the integration with my win7 that I still run today and my VisualStudio2010 for my c#. I know I still run old software but they are extremely stable and they don't f me up.
Thank you and I'm really curious what you will find for me.

A delight to see your circuit working. You have space to fill the EEPROM with more characters and you know how to expand the memory address circuit. Will you be designing your own (polite 😉) emojis? Or a clock face?

Attachments

• rectangular-clock-face-as-part-of-an-analog-clock-with-black-and-red-E79EY9.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
  • I might have implied it is 'my' project somewhere along the line, but what I meant was that I ---wished--- some sort of utilization from it or way of performing. And that wish I managed to realize it with this project. And Im very happy for it. It is your original project and you helped me with many hints and explanations. I am upset on you not giving a proper circuit as usually everyone does work on one. But....in a sense it pushed me to think for myself. To be very honest, I was not even thinking at what stage I will be able to push this project, not even saying that I will actually finish it. It was very hard for me. I thank you for your support along the way ! And you know I mean it.
  • This project simulation is finished in my eyes ! But there is the real chip coming its way from you. There is more even. I receive yesterday those 5 RAM chips I mentioned earlier, the 23LC1024. I also have a tutorial from youtube to make them work, just like you. But it will be interesting to hook them up by themselves (in the future) in some stand alone circuit. As well as your Atmel memory, why not, after final testings. But I will see.
  • What is very important to me, personally, is that I can utilize a memory chip !!! Good enough so far. I will not say 'hop' before I jump, since the real test is with the real chip(s).

See my #77 and the attachment which is only partly seen in the video at #77.

The second attachment was the assignment. I could not find the PLA to purchase so skipped that part and did the eeprom bit. I have yet to do the final paragraph i one day.

Attachments

• 893DCE27-E328-494F-A487-6895BE500B53.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 11
  • D5135172-97CD-48C0-8C11-F5FC48D19965.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Reply to What is the best signal interface for PC ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock