Discuss 1 gang socket and 4mm cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rajshar

DIY
Reaction score
Hi
I had to move a double socket and change it to 2 single gang sockets by 30cm and 60cm. The existing double socket is wired on a 4mm radial circuit and it is fitted inside the wall or better term chased in the wall. It was used by dishwasher and washing machine. Obviously it now has burned so the need of two separate sockets and at more convenient location.

I got 4mm cable and 30mm deep surface mounted boxes. The issue is that I am struggling to close the face plate because the cable is too thick and there isn't much room inside the back box. Using more deeper back boxes isn't an option at the moment. I am thinking of using wago connectors.

I will use 3 way orange wago connectors (221.413) for 4mm cable and then use 3 inch 2.5mm cable in the 3rd hole of wago to connect the socket? Is it OK to use 2.5mm cable just inside the socket? The rest of the cable will stay 4mm.
Thanks

You’ll still struggle to fit that into a 30mm back box, and the less joints the better.
keep it 4mm right through.

either sink in a bigger box, or use a extension to hold the socket away from the wall a bit to give you space.

Thanks littlespark.
So no wagos then. I may have to use 35 or 40 box then and just chase the plaster to sink in about 10mm in to the wall. I wanted to avoid chasing the wall but may be that's the way.

Btw I didn't get using an extension away from the wall. Won't that be same issue with the box size.
I have only stripped 4 inch of grey insulation because of tight space. Could that be an issue. Am I supposed to strip it a bit longer to make it easier to bend/tuck the cable in the back box?
Thanks

Thanks littlespark.
So no wagos then. I may have to use 35 or 40 box then and just chase the plaster to sink in about 10mm in to the wall. I wanted to avoid chasing the wall but may be that's the way.

Btw I didn't get using an extension away from the wall. Won't that be same issue with the box size.
I have only stripped 4 inch of grey insulation because of tight space. Could that be an issue. Am I supposed to strip it a bit longer to make it easier to bend/tuck the cable in the back box?
Thanks
Finally manage the wiring with the existing 30mm back boxes. On a closer inspection, I found the way by bending the cable out of terminal at 80 to 90 degree towards the bottom and that allowed the face plate to close.

Reply to 1 gang socket and 4mm cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock