Currently reading:
100ms time delay rcd on main domestic unit?g

Discuss 100ms time delay rcd on main domestic unit?g in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ok, i know this is not true test but just to stir it up, ive just stuck my multimeter neg in the earth prong of a scoket and other side to kitchen tap,: 4.5 ohms, sounds pretty connected to me and imagine you too. thats what i mean, they are taking the proverbial, ok, maybe they couldnt find the bond, but thats no reason to say its not earthed when it obviously is, right?

seems strange there is no hard and fast rule on the water earth, one persons c2 is anothers c3.. can this be right?

There is no document that that states what fault is what code (there are some guidelines, but that is all they are) so it is down to the experience and common sense on what to code things as. so you can get different opinions from different sparks.

Yes, the regs state that the connections should be visible for inspection so you do not meet the regs. However is it "potentially dangerous" (C2) or "needs improvement" (c3)? that is down to judgement.
The way I judge it is on what I would do if it was my house to be happy my wife and kids are safe. So in this case, if one end was visible and it measured at less than 0.05ohm I would say that the risk of danger is low and I would give it a C3. i.e I would not rip the house apart to find the other end but I would fix it if I got the chance. Others might say that to guarantee it is safe they need to see the other end so they would give it a C2.

To be fair though, would it be that bad to cut an access panel just above the stop cock so it can be inspected? It would stop hassle every few years when you need another inspection.....

ok, i know this is not true test but just to stir it up, ive just stuck my multimeter neg in the earth prong of a scoket and other side to kitchen tap,: 4.5 ohms, sounds pretty connected to me and imagine you too. thats what i mean, they are taking the proverbial, ok, maybe they couldnt find the bond, but thats no reason to say its not earthed when it obviously is, right?

no. 4.5 ohms is way too high. Needs to be less than 0.05 ohms and you won't test that with a standard multimeter! I thought you said it measured at 0 ohms?

sorry what is Zs? you could be right ive read it wrong as 25 "?)

Included in your EICR will be a table of test results.... Against each and every breaker/fuse/MCB there will be a series of numbers stated......Zs is probably named as "earth fault loop impedence) and should be over to the right and is a live test.

And when all's said and done, the only thing (apart from the 2 circuits with the high Zs which need investigating) that doesn't look like a quick fix is the bonding.

Ok, I'll stick my neck out here. Based purely on what you've told us which isn't everything, without being on site and taking into account quite a other few factors. Yeah, I reckon the EICR has quite probably and rightly failed. So what? The remedial work that you describe isn't that much, even the bonding can probably be found quickly enough. The 2 circuits with the high Ze could be anything but what have these people been paid so far? A days labour? And at the cheapest quote that's probably less that 100 quid. So they tell you that some stuff needs to be sorted to make it safe? I would have to agree.

TBH, I reckon we're going round in circles with this but if you want to keep thrashing it out, it's without my input.

ok, i know this is not true test but just to stir it up, ive just stuck my multimeter neg in the earth prong of a scoket and other side to kitchen tap,: 4.5 ohms, sounds pretty connected to me and imagine you too. thats what i mean, they are taking the proverbial, ok, maybe they couldnt find the bond, but that is no reason to say its not earthed when it obviously is, right?

There you go then,if your happy with that,it is your call
There is obviously more involved in testing and interpretation of results than you are aware of

The spark was there to report on the installation not to carry out remedial works,so critism of why he didn't disconnect and alter mcbs is unfair on that spark

ok thanks brman, ill rip up the stopcock cover tomorrow

Sounds a good plan.
And, now I think I understand it a bit better I think you could do worse than get a quote from the guy that did the EICR to sort out the high Zs and disconnect the unused ccts. If he was cheap on the EICR he might end up being cheap for the remedial and I am starting to think he might actually have done a good job on the EICR............ ;)

steve, youre right its rightly failed on some aspects, but wtf does high impedance on 25 on circuits 2 and 3 mean?
I have no idea what that means but why don't you ring the guy tomorrow and ask him. It could be that he had a slight brain fart.

A word to the wide though, don't tell him you've been asking questions on here. He would probably be offended, I know I would

trev, thanks for the advice, and i know wha t you mean, but how would you suggest i tell him that a 100ms td is not a fail?
Simple, you don't. You could ask him why it's a fail though. Seriously, just ring him and ask him to talk you through the report, I'm surprised he didn't do that anyway. It's something I do as a matter of course because my clients, like you, are not electricians. If they were they wouldn't need me.
Call him up, get him to talk you through everything and tell him to explain it in layman's terms. jobs a goodun mate(hopefully) :)

Reply to 100ms time delay rcd on main domestic unit?g in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock