Discuss EICR code for no upfront rcd on TT split load metal board: poor install in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
See this time after time - poor installation:

new split load board on a re-wire tt installation. The main switch is not a time delay rcd. The board is metal and there are split load single insulated conductors before the 30mA rcd's.

If these conductors touch the metal work the board may become live without the time delay.

Would this be a C2 or C3?

I kind of depends upon how much risk there is of a pre-RCD short to earth.

A well wired CU should be safe, but if it lacks an incoming gland or tails-clamp, and if it looks badly installed internally to the point where chaffed cables or loose to wiggle conductors are present then its a danger. The way I usually see codes are:
  • C2 = single & likely fault away from danger
  • C3 = multiple or very unusual fault away from danger
The BPG#4 has some guidance but its a bit vague in this area.

I would probably C3 it, based on no contact with sharp edges, all the terminations being tight, and no signs of any thermal damage. With all these being okay, I would say the odds of a L-E fault upstream of the RCDs is low.

Edit: just to add, the OSG 2.2.6 suggests (as you mentioned) a time delayed RCD as main switch, or an all-RCBO board. IMO, the same L-E fault we are concerned with in the OP can still occur with an all-RCBO board, should the CPC of an outgoing circuit make contact with the busbar.

Last edited:

Reply to EICR code for no upfront rcd on TT split load metal board: poor install in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net