Discuss Fused fuse board no rcd or breakers eicr rating in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rachel_g

DIY
Reaction score
Hello

I live in a rental in scotland and have recently had an EICR carried out. I have an old fuse wire fuse board on a wooden plate with no rcd or breakers, I had assumed this would be a C1 or C2 but this came back as a C3. Surely this is incorrect if the plastic fuse boards are C3s surely no rcd breakers and fuse wired circuit on a wooden plate surrounded by a wooden box should be more than a C3? Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks

Rachel

smells of landlord wanting a satisfactory with no thouhgts aof safety. defininitely a C2 at best.

Here’s the argument that EICRs are not retrospective…. Meaning if the installation complied with regulations at the time it was put in, then it’s still deemed satisfactory against the regulations at that time.

This is fine for avoiding unnecessary work where a 10 year old plastic consumer unit must be changed to metal, for example…. But in this case, the landlord must give their tenants a minimum degree of safety, which in my book would be RCD protection on at least the sockets.

If they were to change it now, it will be rcd protection on most circuits, and an SPD.

Pictures are good indication to us the general workmanship, age of wiring etc
And if you can post up a copy of the EICR as well with any indentifying details redacted, such as your, or the testers name etc…

Could you also tell us if you have smoke detectors in the property? As per new Scot gov legislation, you should have one in the hall, one on landing, one in living room and a heat detector in kitchen. These should be interlinked, so if one goes off, they all go off, and they should not have user replaceable batteries.

What is your general location, as one of us may be able to pop in for a second opinion.

As above, the old rewirable boards can still be "satisfactory" subject to certain conditions, most notable are the bathroom, etc, has proper supplementary bonding (normally done at the time of an installation, but often broken by subsequent plumber's repair work), and none of the sockets are likely to be used to provide power outside (so OK for 1st floor flat, probably not for ground floor).

Personally I don't like to see actual rewirable fuses in use as few folks are able to replace the wire safely and correctly, and most often it was the light circuit that would go so you had the added challenge of doing it in the dark!

There is some useful guidance on the coding for EICR in the Best Practice Guide #4 which is available as a free download here:

If you can post some pictures showing the fuesbox and related cable/meter around it and ideally a copy of the report with any personal details redacted (so your name/address or that of the electrician/company doing the EICR are not public), or if a member of this forum happens to be close as @littlespark suggests they could take a 2nd look.

Reply to Fused fuse board no rcd or breakers eicr rating in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net