Discuss How to add a time delay to a bathroom fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Palhil

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I'm looking for some advice for adding a time delay on my parent's shower room fan.

My parents had a section of their garage converted into a shower room with toilet. But the builders did something a bit odd. They fitted a pull cord light switch by the door and then a separate pull switch next to the shower to power the fan. Ideally the lights and fan should have been on the same switch. Unfortunately the exterior of the room in the garage has been fitted with boards so there isn't any easy way to access the wiring without either making a hole in the ceiling or removing the boards. My parents are keen not to make a mess of their new room.

They are frustrated that the fan does not have a time delay on it and wondered if there was an easy way to either replace the fan with a built in delay or replace the pull cord switch with a delayer inside.

I had a look inside the current switch and it is just a simple two wires with an earth. There is a separate fuse box for the shower power and lights/fan, so it was easy enough to turn off the power before I looked.

I managed to find one pull cord switch with a built in delay online but it was ÂŁ50, which seems quite a lot.

I can do the basics of electrical DIY if it's simply a matter of replacing one switch with another. Anything more than that and we would get an electrician to do it.

Obviously this is situation is not a huge problem but it just frustrates my mum that she has to remember to switch off the fan later.

Any advice gratefully received.

TL;DR
Need to work out how to add a time delay to a bathroom fan without rewiring.

Attachments

• PSX_20231113_113615.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 10
The good thing with having a separate switch for the fan is that you don't need to put the light on when you have a shower. During the summer I rarely use the lights as I have a window in the bathroom, so I just put the fan on (the one in my main bathroom has a built in pull cord). Amazing how many years the LED lamps have lasted!

I just pop up 10 minutes or so after my shower and switch the fan off.

Last edited:
Good for triggering the fan, but he can't leave it on after the shower though.
PIRs usually have a timer function. While in the shower it should stay on by sensing movement, then stay on after he leaves for the length of time it's set for.

PIRs usually have a timer function. While in the shower it should stay on by sensing movement, then stay on after he leaves for the length of time it's set for.

Good shout.

You could also use one of these to do exactly what you suggested with a bit of work rewiring the switch and fan cables. When the switch is turned off the fan would keep running for between 1-45 minutes.

You have a neutral at the switch, a permanent live and switched live. The controller needs a neutral, perm live and switched live input, and the output is just live and neutral to the fan.

Reply to How to add a time delay to a bathroom fan in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net