Discuss 4 way switch help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Trying to wire a series of switches (2) 3 way and (1) 4 way to my kitchen light. I know it can be done because it was at one point. We had our kitchen re-modeled and I decided to replace the light and switches to match the back solace, however I didn’t take any pictures of the wiring before I removed all the switches. Box 1 (3way) has the main power wires 1 black 1 white and a ground, wires for the light 1 black 1 white and 1 ground along with wires to jump (1 red 1 white 1 black and 1 ground) to the 4 way, from the 4 way there are another set of jumper wires that go to box 3 (red, black, white). I can’t for the life of me figure out to to wire this to make all three switches work together. The issue I’m having is that the first box has the main power and light together. Any and all help would be much appreciated.

Trying to wire a series of switches (2) 3 way and (1) 4 way to my kitchen light. I know it can be done because it was at one point. We had our kitchen re-modeled and I decided to replace the light and switches to match the back solace, however I didn’t take any pictures of the wiring before I removed all the switches. Box 1 (3way) has the main power wires 1 black 1 white and a ground, wires for the light 1 black 1 white and 1 ground along with wires to jump (1 red 1 white 1 black and 1 ground) to the 4 way, from the 4 way there are another set of jumper wires that go to box 3 (red, black, white). I can’t for the life of me figure out to to wire this to make all three switches work together. The issue I’m having is that the first box has the main power and light together. Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Let’s start in the middle first the 4 way should have 2 cables with 1 cable from box 1 and 1 cable to box 3 the switch has 4 screws on the switch hook the black on the top screw and the red wire to the bottom screw. Do the same on the other side of the switch. Tie the whites together and grounds together and close up that box. On box 1 tie the whites together and grounds together and terminate the black to the top screw then hook the travelers to the other 2 screws on the bottom of the switch. On box 3 hook your travelers to the bottom of the switch, the other cable black goes to the top screw and tie the whites together and grounds together. That should get them working and if not switch the 2 travelers but if you colored code like I told you it should work

The issue I’m having is the fact that box 1 which is a 3 way switch has three sets of wires in it (main power, light fixture, jumper wire set.

The issue I’m having is the fact that box 1 which is a 3 way switch has three sets of wires in it (main power, light fixture, jumper wire set.
The main power black goes to the top screw the cables from the 4 way go to the 2 bottom screws the other cable all blacks go together and all whites go together and grounds also
[automerge]1587522540[/automerge]
The main power black goes to the top screw the cables from the 4 way go to the 2 bottom screws the other cable all blacks go together and all whites go together and grounds also
There shouldn’t be but 2 blacks to tie together on that switch

[automerge]1587522540[/automerge]

There shouldn’t be but 2 blacks to tie together on that switch
Sorry I’m very ignorant when it comes to this. Main power has a black white and ground, Wire coming from the light also has a black, white and a ground, then there is the jumper that has a black, white, red and a ground. You’re saying I should connect the main power black wire to the top screw of the first 3 way switch?

So box 1 has the hot supply, supply to light and the jumper. Three blacks, three whites and one red ignoring the grounds.

Do one switch at a time but I believe this is correct.20200422_132431.jpg

Sorry I’m very ignorant when it comes to this. Main power has a black white and ground, Wire coming from the light also has a black, white and a ground, then there is the jumper that has a black, white, red and a ground. You’re saying I should connect the main power black wire to the top screw of the first 3 way switch?
Yes I’m saying hook the live wire to the top screw

Yes it is a jumper just fit a wire nut at the four way.
Box one is a bit more complicated, white jumper to top. Hot black along with black jumper to one of the bottom terminals and hot to light with red jumper to other bottom terminal so the two bottom terminals have two wires each. The white neutral of the supply/hot cable connect to white neutral of the light through a wire nut.

Yes it is a jumper just fit a wire nut at the four way.
Box one is a bit more complicated, white jumper to top. Hot black along with black jumper to one of the bottom terminals and hot to light with red jumper to other bottom terminal so the two bottom terminals have two wires each. The white neutral of the supply/hot cable connect to white neutral of the light through a wire nut.
I seriously cannot thank you enough! I did exactly what you said and drew up and everything is working perfectly! THANK YOU!!!!

No worries mate glad to help.

Reply to 4 way switch help! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net