Currently reading:
600M Electrical feed to farm house underground.

Discuss 600M Electrical feed to farm house underground. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good evening.
I have been asked by a client to size and install an electrical supply from a meter position located 600M from the property and consumer unit. The client wants the supply run underground.
Supply is 240v single phase 100A TNCS.
Could anyone assist with size and cable type recommendations?
Any one else run such distances at 240v on private land?
Thanks in advance.
Steve.

My next tune is; Letting the cables sleep, by Bush;
upload_2018-5-18_7-46-39.jpeg :)https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?img...I7bAhVlLMAKHW-jDIwQMwhBKA8wDw&iact=mrc&uact=8

Its all in the yellow book, but unless you have a maximum load you wont get anywhere. Things to consider: Direct buried or in duct, depth of trench, loads and PF. 600M is a long way , earthing will be a challenge . I did an industrial run at 420M and the cable alone was 20K but that was 2X 120sqm 4C
Good evening.
I have been asked by a client to size and install an electrical supply from a meter position located 600M from the property and consumer unit. The client wants the supply run underground.
Supply is 240v single phase 100A TNCS.
Could anyone assist with size and cable type recommendations?
Any one else run such distances at 240v on private land?
Thanks in advance.
Steve.

Steve, have you spoken to the local DNO regards anew meter at the location. 600m Is considerable and the associated conductor size required at LV would be significant. The DNO would likely quote MV supply to a small column mounted step down transform - see what they quote.

Steve, have you spoken to the local DNO regards anew meter at the location. 600m Is considerable and the associated conductor size required at LV would be significant. The DNO would likely quote MV supply to a small column mounted step down transform - see what they quote.

Think his customer already done, couple of posts before yours? :)

Steve, have you spoken to the local DNO regards anew meter at the location. 6
He hasn’t, as far as I can see.
Up to now it was an ‘I’ll just bung some cable in’ thought.

He’s got a lot more work to do, with the client first.

I’m hoping we’ll get an update, but I wouldn’t bet on one arriving any time soon.

Think his customer already done, couple of posts before yours? :)

Ok thanks for the constructive and some not so constructive posts.
My initial thought was to get the electricity provider to supply and meter direct to the property and not 600M away. When I questioned the customer it was down to cost. He was quoted 58k for a supply direct.
I am greatful for all who posted in answer to my post.

Post #40

Especially if the dno turn up with a 600m reel of 240mm2 cable and start digging:D
How much would that weigh? Assuming 2 core.
we were pulling in a 3core 90mm, couple hundred metres , digger ripped off a huge chunk of the insulation when trying to drag it out of the tunnel lol, im guessing 600m of 240 3 core would be outwith the recommended manual handling limits

could just see this sort of job going belly up you would go home with cable in the trench to come back next morning to find some likey likey caravan dwelling nomadic sort who often moonlghts as a tarmac layer has been along with the family during the night to cut up and remove the cable for scrap metal!

600m that's a long run, can you come back with an outline of what is being supplied please? It will be a big load if it is for a barn building or a farmers workshop. The first thing I would say is to get a price from the electricity supplier for 30 wooden electricity poles, hardware and cables and an 11kv/415v 3phase transformer and installation, although I am thinking that this will end up with a quote for the best part of £50,000 to £55,000.

How about getting the farmer to go to an auction and spend £3,000 on a second hand ex rental diesel generator and then put another 3,000 into electrically kitting out the building?

I once knew of a farmer getting a brand new generator out of a roll on skip all 2 tons of it, had been dumped straight after delivery to a wind farm building site as it gave the user problems, it was a cheap Chinese one, very basic but it worked.
You'll find with most farmers they will want things for free or as cheap as scrap and will bodge things even if they are a death trap, they will just keep the kids away from it and use it anyway as they mostly don't care as long as it works.

Reply to 600M Electrical feed to farm house underground. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back