Discuss Am i allowed to Install an Electric Gate? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
This Might seem like a bit of an obvious question but just wanted to make sure, a friend of mine has his own metal works company and he has recently taken on a project to make and install some electric gates to a property, he has asked me if i am able to assist with the installation electrically, I am currently a qualified electrical engineer working in industrial and commercial premises, I do not currently have the 18th edition qualification, nor am i registered with a governing body. i am more than competent and confident to wire up the gate but would i be allowed to do this legally? I'm assuming the only section I would not be allowed to do would be to take a feed from the DB?

Any advice is appreciated,

Cheers
Dan

There may be conditions with any warranty claim against the gate control manufacturers that it must be installed by someone with BS7671.

I don’t know personally what would be required, but is there a short course available for people that install alarms, cctv, etc that need a supply.

I do know that the one and only time I installed the power for a lifting access barrier, it only needed a 6A supply and could have run off a plugtop.

Hi - as you’ll know, all new installations need to be done to latest BS7671 for design, installation test and certIfication. And if a new circuit is needed then a Part P approval would also be required.

As Ioz says, the installation as a whole needs to be safe. Perhaps have a read of the HSE article as a starter. Its not like running a cable to a shed, just saying.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/work-equipment-machinery/powered-gates/index.htm

Thanks all for the replies, I have just begun studying for my BS7671 with the aim of moving into domestic electrician work so any advice is greatly appreciated. I will advise that they should consult with a fully qualified electrician to undertake the works. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I put my name to an installation that I didn't know was as safe as possible.

Thanks again :)

Thanks all for the replies, I have just begun studying for my BS7671 with the aim of moving into domestic electrician work so any advice is greatly appreciated. I will advise that they should consult with a fully qualified electrician to undertake the works. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I put my name to an installation that I didn't know was as safe as possible.

Thanks again :)
A "fully qualified" electrician, whatever that is, is unlikely to have the knowledge or experience to determine what safety devices are required, how to install them or what they should do if actuated. Equally importantly, producing the appropriate documentation.

The powered gate will likely fall under the requirements of the Supply of Machinery Regs, so risk assessment, safety related electrical controls In accordance with the appropriate standard, technical file.

The electrical design and installation is the minor part of the works.

What your friend should do is either walk away from this work, or sub out the safety functions to others who can do it properly. He will need to produce the technical file.

Supplying the feed to whatever control panel is there should be ok, unless it is a new circuit and Part P notifiable.

But as stated, it's the safety side that I would avoid getting involved in - but be sure that someone properly experienced does.

There is too much potential liability should an accident occur, which is a very real possibility with a heavy gate that isn't safely installed.

On one of the recent E5 podcasts, they mentioned the case of someone who grabbed hold of a rollup garage door (Commercial I believe) and couldn't let go and was dragged to their death. Made me shiver just to think of it. And when investigated it was found that there were no safety sensors, etc in place, or they weren't wired up correctly...

Supplying the feed to whatever control panel is there should be ok, unless it is a new circuit and Part P notifiable.

But as stated, it's the safety side that I would avoid getting involved in - but be sure that someone properly experienced does.

There is too much potential liability should an accident occur, which is a very real possibility with a heavy gate that isn't safely installed.

On one of the recent E5 podcasts, they mentioned the case of someone who grabbed hold of a rollup garage door (Commercial I believe) and couldn't let go and was dragged to their death. Made me shiver just to think of it. And when investigated it was found that there were no safety sensors, etc in place, or they weren't wired up correctly...
This is it in a nutshell OP.

All the laws and standards are not there to make life awkward, they are there to stop people being killed or maimed. Unless you know what you're doing, can demonstrate you know what you're doing and can demonstrate that you've done it correctly, to the HSE, walk away.

Reply to Am i allowed to Install an Electric Gate? in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net