Currently reading:
Appliance in a bathroom

Discuss Appliance in a bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

nnw49

-
Reaction score
Wondering if it is legitimate to install a tumble drier in a cupboard in a bathroom.

Obviously, this will mean a socket being fitted, again inside the cupboard.

The cupboard is approx 3m from the bath/shower (other side of the room)

Is this allowed? The property is a rental.

Thanks.

N.

Hard wired into an RCD FCU so there is no 230v switch to operate then I cant see a direct problem, also make sure the zs is permitted, and to go the whole hog put a lock on the cupboard or the actual FCU in a lockable box

If it has to be switched then switch it outside of 3m

Last edited by a moderator:
You cannot install a socket within 3m of the edge of the bath / shower cubicle, however as the location is over 60cm from the bath / shower cubicle then you can wire it to a SFCU, i.e. it must be a permanently wired appliance suitable for the location. You should consider if the tumble drier is suitable for the location and will not get directly wet.

part 7 of the regs says a socket outlet has to be over 3m away from edge of zone 1 0.6m away from edge of bath so minimum 3.6m from edge of bath or shower, but like above said you could hard wire the equipment into the switched fused connection unit and aslong as is protected by rcd happy days

Whilst BS7671 does not actually prohibit the use of Class 1 fixed or stationary equipment outside of zone 2 it's not something I would encourage, Class 2 devices more readily satisfy the requirements of locations containing a bath or shower.
As most tumble driers are Class 1 stationary equipment, if it's located 3m from zone 2 and supplied from FCU rather than a socket-outlet on an RCD protected final circuit, it would be OK, but not ideal.
My main worry and concern is the unattended operation of a tumble drier located in a cupboard, although this prevents direct access to the equipment, it could increase the fire risk by reducing the airflow in/around the drier and the possibility of poor venting, leading to increased operating temperatures and also the build up and trapping of cotton lint from the clothing leading to a combustible atmosphere. There are about 1400 washing machine and tumble drier related fires in domestic premises every year so this is a real and potential risk. The landlord of a rental property contemplating such an installation might wish as part of the risk assessment and duty of care to consider the installation of a heat detector in the bathroom and an emergency switch located outside the bathroom to disconnect the supply to the appliance in the event of a fire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Appliance in a bathroom in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock