Discuss Rewiring/repurposing an old bathroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jonners

DIY
Reaction score
Got an old downstairs bathroom being converted into a wc and utility (no white goods, just sockets for occasional tools, maybe a network printer. More of a workshop/storeroom really).

The old bathroom had an electric shower wired to it's own 32A breaker in the consumer unit. The shower has gone, along with the bath.

a) Would it be feasible to use the old shower circuit for power to a workshop?

I'm guessing the shower cabling would be heavier than needed, but it would be great to avoid having to go back to the consumer unit with new cable, or tap into the ring main.

b) If it were OK, what would the limits be on the circuit (effectively a radial circuit I guess?) A single twin socket would probably be sufficient, but good to know if more were allowed.

Easiest way to do it, get an electrician to quote for a small consumer unit fed from the old shower cable.
from there, feed as many sockets and lights as you want.

As long as the old shower circuit is RCD protected and you only want to add sockets (I assume the room has a light already), then there's no need for an additional CU.
There's no problem with a socket circuit being fed by a 32A MCB ( most in the UK are).
If you only want one or two sockets, then they can be connected as a radial, but if more are required, this is a candidate for a lollipop ring final circuit.

Reply to Rewiring/repurposing an old bathroom in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I posted here some time ago asking for validation of a quote I received for a rewire. (10k assumed 60 points) And got some good advice so...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am changing the electric shower in a bathroom refurbishment (my own) and just wanted to ask about the mcb rating. The existing shower was...
Replies
Views
We have a room in the house that was the kitchen. That has been relocated to a different area, so the old kitchen has been sold off and the room...
Replies
Views
Hi, I`m looking for an advice. I have an electric shower that I`m not using due to boiler changed to combi and added shower over bath feed by a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Victron Multiplus-II 5kVA inverter/charger with Pylontech US5000 batteries installed in my house along with a 6.8kWp PV array and...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock