Discuss Bathroom lighting stopped working in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My bathroom light went last week. I believe it's a "2D" bulb - the full model number on the bulb is F28W2D/835.

The bulb had gone black at one end, which I'm guessing is what happens when one of these blows?

I've bought 4 different replacements this week, but none of them are working.

One definitely appears to have arrived damaged, but the other 3 seem fine.

Could there be a reason other than the bulb that this isn't working? I surely can't have had 4 different faulty bulbs delivered!

For extra context, I live in a flat in the UK in a building that is less than 10 years old, so I assume the wiring is up to a decent standard. Nothing in my fuse box has tripped, and everything else is working fine, including a backlit mirror in the same bathroom.

Thanks for any help!

TL;DR
Bathroom light blew, tried 4 different replacement bulbs but still none are working. Could there be another issue?
If there's a starter, it's worth changing that although if it's under 10 years old it's unlikely to have one. First thing to do is check if there is power to the fitting, failing that the control gear in the light could have failed. If thay is the case either replace gear or replace fitting.

When sent to replace bulbs I find a lot of the ballasts in 2D fittings have also failed (getting on for 40%). A new LED unit is about the same price as a replacement gear tray, so if a new bulb doesn't work I just change the entire fitting.

Reply to Bathroom lighting stopped working in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net