Discuss Bathroom pull switch light problem please help ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi I've been trying to fix my mother in laws pull switch bathroom light. Fixed my own a couple of times with no issues but when I installed this one and switched the power back on it didn't work.

Its a Bencon pull switch bathroom ceiling light. The switch has screw in connectors inside with clamps. I've only ever seen the ones with just screws. These are new to me.. The problem is that the screw in plate connectors are not all the same. The L2 and comm connectors had bronze coloured bottom plates and silver coloured top plates. The earth connector has a different connector. It appears to have 2 silver plates but they don't separate when the screw is turned. Both plates move up and down together and don't come apart. What I don't understand is where the wire is meant to go on the earth terminal. It can't go between the silver plates as they don't separate. Does it go above the plates or below them ? Does the wire need to be touching the silver plate or the screw inside ? I assume that with the other terminals the naked wire is meant to go between the 2 plates ? That it does not need to be touching the screw ? Its the screw connector in the Earth terminal that really has me confused. I don't understand why its completely different from the other 2 connectors or why it has 2 plates that do not separate. Hope you can help me !

Hi I've been trying to fix my mother in laws pull switch bathroom light. Fixed my own a couple of times with no issues but when I installed this one and switched the power back on it didn't work.

Its a Bencon pull switch bathroom ceiling light. The switch has screw in connectors inside with clamps. I've only ever seen the ones with just screws. These are new to me.. The problem is that the screw in plate connectors are not all the same. The L2 and comm connectors had bronze coloured bottom plates and silver coloured top plates. The earth connector has a different connector. It appears to have 2 silver plates but they don't separate when the screw is turned. Both plates move up and down together and don't come apart. What I don't understand is where the wire is meant to go on the earth terminal. It can't go between the silver plates as they don't separate. Does it go above the plates or below them ? Does the wire need to be touching the silver plate or the screw inside ? I assume that with the other terminals the naked wire is meant to go between the 2 plates ? That it does not need to be touching the screw ? Its the screw connector in the Earth terminal that really has me confused. I don't understand why its completely different from the other 2 connectors or why it has 2 plates that do not separate. Hope you can help me !
where a re you situated?

Sounds like the switch has cage clamp terminals, but the clamp in the earth terminal is stiff. Try pushing the screwdriver inwards hard against the head of the screw while unscrewing, to persuade it to open.

a pic would help.
Yeah I wish I'd taken one. The light isn't in my house and I'm not over there right now. Are you familiar with the the wire connectors I'm on about ? With clamps that move apart and together when you turn the screw ? Does thenwire normally need to be touching the clamps/small metal plates or the screw itself ? Normally its the crew amd there are no clamps/metal plates but these are different.

a pic would help.

Sounds like the switch has cage clamp terminals, but the clamp in the earth terminal is stiff. Try pushing the screwdriver inwards hard against the head of the screw while unscrewing, to persuade it to open.
Cheers I'll try that. So they are called cage clamp terminals ? That is helpful thanks. I didn't even know what the dqmn things were called ! I've done my own bathroom light a couple of times with no problems but I've never seen connectors like these. I did try to push them apart initially but only briefly. They wouldn't come apart and i didn't want to force it as I wasn't sure if it was meant to come apart or not. Any idea why both plates are the same colour (silver) on the earth terminal when the L2 and comm terminals have 1 silver plate (top) and one Bronze coloured (bottom) ?

try slacking off the screw then pushing down on the screwdriver.

Silver is probably plated steel, and the bronze is probably brass or copper.
or just the usual soft shyte alloy from recycled bean cans and scrap plastic that most things are made from these days?

Reply to Bathroom pull switch light problem please help ! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net