Discuss Best books for starting as an electrician in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sivoodoo

Hi all,

I am due to begin working with my friend, a long established domestic and commercial electrician. I shall be his side kick, cable puller and pint buyer until I have completed all the relevant City and guild courses he sees fit (probably all of them!)
I know a copy of the 17ed is a must but what other good books would you recommend I have as bed time reading? Which would you advise I should have.

thank you all in advance.
Cheers guys.
Si.

Ha ha! nice one ive already got that one! but surely not all sparkys are wan#ers!

anyone? your help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just payed for my apprentices books. He was told to get 2, sorry i don't have the titles just the ISBN.

0-7506-8114-4
978-0-435449-36-0

Do not bother with the 17th BS7671 yet, you will not need it till the 3rd year. Save yourself £60.00:D

HI there,
good books - good question - have not found any that i would call 'good bed time reading'. However another must is the On Site Giude - full of lots of very usful info. Yhe ECA have a book out 'A Guide to the 17th ed of the wiring regs - well laid out easy to read and some pretty nice pics (not quite to Razzles standards). As you start studying for the inevitable exams the C&G Exam Success books might be worth a look.

Happy reading, good luck, welcome to the premier trade.
Dino

I agree with Dinosaur the ECA book is verygood and quite an easy read but I would suggest you ask your course tutor as he will recommend books that are relevant to the course work.

Like others have said, don't get yourself a 17th Edition yet, by the time you actually need it they will have most probably ammended it goodness knows how many times and also reprinted it in a more upto date issue.

Possibly when you get well into your job an On Site Guide might be useful so you can see a bit of the theory of what you are doing (Amazon cheapest at the moment) but have a chat with your boss first so that he doesn't think you're trying to see if he's done things right.

Good luck with your future career, let us know how things are going and if you have questions you want to ask just post them on the forum.

Oh yes, don't try reading them in bed unless you want to get to sleep quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hullo there.
I teach Apprentices and there are two books I'd recommend you get if your starting out. They're the "Electrical Installation" Books 1 & 2. Heinneman Press. Really clear diagrams....concise explanations and some Self Assessed questions at the end of every chapter to let you see how you're doing.
They do a "Revision" book as well and it has multiple choice assessments for you to try.

There are more....

Hope this helps and good luck...

Reply to Best books for starting as an electrician in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock