Discuss Best website for Makita tools?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

cordless tools shouls allbe 12V then you can stick a 12V 7Ah alarm battery in your y fronts with a couple of croc clips ion a lead. ( lead to drill,not your wedding tackle).

In short, unless you want to start out with several versions of a tools that all do the same job, then middle of the road is probably the best option (something like Makita DHR242). While cordless tools are still generally heavier than their corded counterparts, the difference is not great and (for most jobs) the convenience far outweighs any additional weight.

If a little extra weight is a big problem, it's often easier to eat a few more weetabix than find a convenient source of power.
Ive had the previous iteration of that drill for 5 years and it's been bulletproof.

Plenty of oomph for a sparky and light enough to drill a 6mm hole at arms length on top of a ladder.

Will manage a 25mm through Accy brick and with a little trigger discipline doesn't leave the wall looking like the surface of the moon.

Occasional breaking and chasing and on the odd occasion to core a 4" hole.

Highly recommend.

All this talk of batteries reminded me that I seemed to have misplaced a brand new pair of Makita batteries.

Couldn't find them in the house last week and checked business address a few days back, but no sign of them. Turns out they were right under my nose in the very first place I'd looked, but didn't spot them.

Moral of this story: look after your stuff and take care of it. All fun and games until someone loses a battery.

Please Please don't core with a standard SDS drill you will eventually end up with a broken wrist, please use a SDS drill with a clutch so when it jambs it does not turn your wrist over and break it, something like this: Marcrist DDM150-1S/110V UK 1900W Electric Diamond Core Drill
Plus 1 for the Marcrist. Makes core drilling a lot safer and a lot easier.

Please Please don't core with a standard SDS drill you will eventually end up with a broken wrist, please use a SDS drill with a clutch so when it jambs it does not turn your wrist over and break it, something like this: Marcrist DDM150-1S/110V UK 1900W Electric Diamond Core Drill
Hi mate, not planning on core drilling with this sds normally use the dewalt core drill with a clutch on it.

I would vouch for Makita gear any time, bought a DHR242 about 5 year ago great tool to add to the existing cordless drills which are 8 to 9 year old now and going strong, wee cordless grinder Makita DGA452Z 18 V is one of the handiest tools I have (probably the most dangerous also to be fair). Took a chance and got an extra 2 x 3.0 Ah replacement batteries off amazon for round £25 (not real Makita they are +£) back in 2016 and can only tell the difference between batteries cause i engraved the date.

I would vouch for Makita gear any time, bought a DHR242 about 5 year ago great tool to add to the existing cordless drills which are 8 to 9 year old now and going strong, wee cordless grinder Makita DGA452Z 18 V is one of the handiest tools I have (probably the most dangerous also to be fair). Took a chance and got an extra 2 x 3.0 Ah replacement batteries off amazon for round £25 (not real Makita they are +£) back in 2016 and can only tell the difference between batteries cause i engraved the date.
Sounds good mate hopefully mine last me that long!

I have two SDS drills one I inherited hidden in the barn when I bought the property and the other a Hitachi I bought because the other was so heavy, the one I inherited is a Triton, I know, I know, but it goes through anything, the Hitachi is no where near as powerful for heavy duty use, so when comparing SDS drills look at the hammer power for heavy use, the Triton has been going for the last eleven years, but not excessive use.

I have a Makita 6096D drill which is brilliant for light work as it is so light (1.3kg) and easy to use, only issue is now (10 years+ on) the two battery packs are tired and hold limited charge.

My SDS drill is also old (around 2006) and its an AEG 230V model and proven to be a good buy for the odd times I have needed it. I simply don't make enough use to justify getting a cordless replacement but interesting to see the discussion above.

I have a Makita 6096D drill which is brilliant for light work as it is so light (1.3kg) and easy to use, only issue is now (10 years+ on) the two battery packs are tired and hold limited charge.

That's pretty much a museum piece now.

Jokling aside, small cordless tools have developed at an incredible pace. The difference between 9.6V tools from a decade or more ago and modern 10.8/12V tools is almost as stark as the difference between bit and brace and a modern core drill.

only makita i have is a 110V SDS. comes out when there's a lot to do. last year, on one job, did over 100 32mm holes in 4" joists using a SDS auger bit on it. no cordless could come close.

only makita i have is a 110V SDS. comes out when there's a lot to do. last year, on one job, did over 100 32mm holes in 4" joists using a SDS auger bit on it. no cordless could come close.

There's no doubt that corded tools are well suited to certain tasks, but quite a few cordless drills would manage that task on a single charge.

Some manufacturers favour a dual battery approach for such drills, but others are manufacturing batteries with staggering capacity and output. Makita use the former and their batteries top out at 6Ah, but Milwaukee and Dewalt use single (large) batteries that now provide up to 12Ah for 18/20V tools. The Dewalt battery is part of their FlexVolt system, powering tools that operate at different voltages.

It has all become a bit overwhelming, not to mention expensive, which is part of the reason why I've stuck with Makita's easy to understand tools for simple people.

Reply to Best website for Makita tools?? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net