Search the forum,

Discuss chasing into concrete screed floors - a risk to the neighbour's lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marty203 are you sure you are not getting mixed up with maisonettes as I could then understand if their downstairs lighting conduits came from their bedrooms above. Perhaps if you where a young lad at the time you may of only worked on those parts of a large job and not remembered or recalled the conduit arrangements for the bedroom lighting which should of been cast into the slab?

Im not that old that I cant remember, lol, the projects were high rise council flats, Hounslow and Feltham and a few in the north around Islington and The Barbicon in the east

Im QS for nic firm and we have annual visit
and have to jump through hoops
im sure that for small firms, this is the case. Im sure that may outfits choose the jobs that they show their assessors.
I work for a very large M&E firm, with over 800 tradesmen on the books. I work out of a satellite office, where im one of 8 sparks. As you can tell, im not a fan of the current system of QS. Its not effective in a large firm, where nobody ever see's my work.

im sure that for small firms, this is the case. Im sure that may outfits choose the jobs that they show their assessors.
I work for a very large M&E firm, with over 800 tradesmen on the books. I work out of a satellite office, where im one of 8 sparks. As you can tell, im not a fan of the current system of QS. Its not effective in a large firm, where nobody ever see's my work.

i thought we were a large firm with 140 employees m and e. a/c and security devisions ect but would agree that you tend to pick and choose work from the "better" guys to show them

Question guys: this is a maisonette with 2 floors undergoing a rewire. How to wire the lights on the lower floor? Options are 1) battening and 2) chase screed above and drop through floor. Everyone seems to prefer option 1 but me! Why is it so hard, especially as we'll be chasing the screed to lay pipework for central heating?
Are there any regulations against running lighting cables in the screed above?

Question guys: this is a maisonette with 2 floors undergoing a rewire. How to wire the lights on the lower floor? Options are 1) battening and 2) chase screed above and drop through floor. Everyone seems to prefer option 1 but me! Why is it so hard, especially as we'll be chasing the screed to lay pipework for central heating?
Are there any regulations against running lighting cables in the screed above?

Seeing as you'd be running a cable installation from one installations equipotential zone into another installations equipotential zone, what do you think??

Last edited by a moderator:
If this is a maisonette with 2 floors and he's wiring the lower floor lights from the upper floor how would he be running a cable installation from one installations equipotential zone into another installations equipotential zone, or am I missing something?
Seeing as you'd be running a cable installation from one installations equipotential zone into another installations equipotential zone, what do you think??

i'm not an electrician, what's an equipotential zone! :tounge_smile:

so the only option is battening the ceiling then? crap!!!

it's a 2 story, ex council, 1960s built flat. with brick walls, concrete floors, and MICC cabling (to be ripped out for the rewire).

see pics.

FloorPlan.jpgzIMG_0422.jpgscreed.jpg

structural report

Visual Observations

• At first floor level, adjacent to the stair well is a small airing cupboard with a water tank. The floor in this area was lifted to reveal a soft grey material, which on first impression was thought to be a floor screed.

• With the aid of a chisel, the soft grey material was easily broken away to reveal a water pipe buried within it.

• The depth to the bottom of the copper pipe was approximately 30mm.

• Below was a further pipe.

• It is believed that the two pipes are the flow and return to the water tank located within the airing cupboard.

• The depth of the screed is therefore most likely approximately 50mm in depth.

• The ceiling of the ground floor reception room was also exposed in one location to reveal a smooth concrete surface, of different colouration and texture to the soft grey material observed within the airing cupboard.

Figure 1 – Exposed Screeded Slab Surface – Airing Cupboard

Conclusions/Recommendations

Based on our visual observations, it appears that the floor structure is of reinforced concrete construction. It was not possible to conclusively determine if the floor slab was of precast or in-situ construction. Based on the surface finish to the soffit area exposed, it would suggest that the floor slab is most likely of pre-cast concrete construction.

To the top surface of the concrete floor slab is quite clearly a screed of approximately 50mm in depth, which has services within it as was seen in the airing cupboard.

We understand that you wish to run further new services within the screed layer. We can confirm that this will not affect the structural performance of the concrete floor slab. However, it should be ensured that the screed is broken out carefully (not with an angle girder or similar) to ensure that the concrete surface of the floor slab is not damaged or cut into.

If this is a maisonette with 2 floors and he's wiring the lower floor lights from the upper floor how would he be running a cable installation from one installations equipotential zone into another installations equipotential zone, or am I missing something?

Yep, your right, and that's fine if it's a two storey maisonette and he's using the screed on the upper floor to run his cables in, for the lower floor. Not too sure what he's going to do for the upper floor lighting though?? ..lol!!

My only worry would be, that the surveyor mentions that the floor slabs are of the precast type. Making penetrations in precast concrete slabs, need to be undertaken with caution, especially if they are of the pre tensioned variety!!

Not too sure what he's going to do for the upper floor lighting though?? ..lol!!

it's the top floor maisonette, upper floor lighting run above plasterboard ceilings (no concrete)

My only worry would be, that the surveyor mentions that the floor slabs are of the precast type. Making penetrations in precast concrete slabs, need to be undertaken with caution, especially if they are of the pre tensioned variety!!

he said he was unable to determine, and IMO he was not the sharpest tool in the shed. are these photos any help in determining the construction?

IMG_4561.jpgIMG_4565.jpgIMG_4566.jpgIMG_4568.jpgIMG_4569.jpg

those are the pipes that punch through the floor to go to the gravity water tank. notice there is a brick laid in the middle of the concrete! WTF?

that looks poured-in to me, not precast. any opinions?

Reply to chasing into concrete screed floors - a risk to the neighbour's lights? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock