Currently reading:
Combining circuits

Discuss Combining circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

But where rings are not present, what would be typical? Or would a 32 amp 6mm2 radial take over as long as nothing is hard wired?

Ok, never mine I see Engineer's response.

So it boils down to this:

Fused sockets means many appliances can be combined.

If direct wired I can not go over 16 amps or what ever the manufacturer states?

If you don't have a ring circuit in the area, then preferably 2 X 2.5mm circuits each on a 16A MCB, or a single 4mm radial on a 25A MCB to supply both appliances via socket outlets or FCU's... You'll not go far wrong using either method.

Those that keep going on about NFPA 70 (NEC), THE OP's company supply Portable type cabins to the UK, so the electrical installation to these cabins needs to comply to BS7671...

BS7671 is available in the US just as the NFPA 70 is available here.

If the OP is supplying equipment to the UK he should be conversant and comply with the regulations.

But where rings are not present, what would be typical? Or would a 32 amp 6mm2 radial take over as long as nothing is hard wired? No, A 32A 4mm radial could be used in place of a say a ring circuit, so long as all other circuit criteria is considered. My suggestion above, was basically solving your problem of connecting two fixed appliances of 2KW or over...

Ok, never mine I see Engineer's response.

So it boils down to this:

Fused sockets means many appliances can be combined.

No, the plug top fuses as well as the fuses in FCU are there to protect the leads/cords connected to the plug top/FCU, NOT the appliance itself. Any circuit must be designed to be suitable for the load it is expected to carry.

I think the ''terminology'' as in ''combined'' is getting confused here, Running two cables (radial) from a single MCB/OCPD is not considered as being suitable or good practice. There is not a problem supplying two or more fixed appliances on a given or dedicated circuit that has been adequately designed to carry the total expected load. You need to distinguish between general socket outlet provision, and a dedicated provision for fixed or multiple fixed appliances of 2KW and over. Something along the lines mentioned in your own NEC...

If direct wired I can not go over 16 amps or what ever the manufacturer states?

Direct wired in the UK generally means connection via an FCU (fused connection unit) for fixed appliances loads up to 3KW. Loads higher than 3KW, then a suitably sized OCPD in the DB is used...

Is this porta cabin unit(s) you're working on for site living accommodation set up, as in a communal kitchen/canteen/laundry?? I ask because on a recent previous i'm sure you mentioned a 42 way DB... It would help a great deal to give a few details of the type of installation your working on, it can often get confusing commenting on off the cuff situations....

Yes, some will have a compact kitchen plus laundry. I only mentioned a 42 way consumer unit because this is what most panels are rated in the US (32, 24 and 12 also common), in reality the ways will be much less for the trailers.

Reply to Combining circuits in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock