Discuss confused about part P do i need it? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

part P started in 2005 and is only building regs, also they deemed at the same time to carry out electrical works on domestic dwellings you must be qualified to a minimum standard and belong to a organization such as NICEIC. Surely this can only be a good thing. Its a start, stop slagging it off. The reason why you get the bodging kitchen fitters is because they pay a lot of money for the fast track courses. This i think where the problem lies. If you complete the courses properly and are a proffesional responsible trades man then you would be more than capable to carry any domestic electricall works. I Personally think the NICEIC are quite strict on there domestic installer scheme and does eliminate your average idiot

If thats the case he can't be NICEIC registered as there inspectors are quite good and will not let you join the scheme if your testing is not up to scratch. Maybe the kitchen fitter is a lying cowboy and your taring everyone with the same brush:)

Tiger,

it was only last week i visited a job that had been carried out by an niceic domestic installer.(certs and reg number to prove) this was a new install to a kitchen extension, upgrade fuseboard and bonding etc. I was shocked to find what i did. where do i start.

all work designed, quoted and carried out after july 08

c/u replaced for the older style split board ie. m/s and 1 rcd- non 17th compliant-had noted on the cert "was designed before the 16th edition" !!!???

cerftification filled in incorrecctly, no mention of any existing circuits, just ones that had been installed new. readings for new ring didnt look very realistic.

tails from meter lashed around pipes and around other cable through the garage to the "new" c/u- approx 6m with no protection

all sockets/switches poorly terminated, copper expossed and a break in the ring. connections at switches arcing.

cooker point with skt rammed into a 25mm box - cables dammaged

new cable sheathed diagoanaly across the kitchen wall!!

all fire rated downlights cut in with incorrect holesaw-not one of them fits correctly.

all sockets different hight from worktops - result 5mm-45mm difference.

i didnt stick about to see much more. i was shocked, disgusted and most of all felt awfull having to explain to the customer, the defects to his "new" kitchen.

sadly this isnt the first of this kind of thing i have seen and dont expect it will b the last.

one further point- i disagree with the what u say about the inspectors.on my last inspection i wasnt asked for any up to date documentation, no proof i could still test or even that i was conversant wth the 17th. what am i paying all that money for?

sorry for the rant but had to be said

regards:mad:

Rant away mate, you should report the fellow. I'am surprised about your inspector though, Mines **** hot everything has to be spot on even requires complaint procedures, health and safety, checks my public liability the works.

theskid, i ment if you have the 16th but not the 17th. i didnt mean you cant do it if you have the 17th.

jules hurley. electricians have to work in accordance with part p. we dont have to go and do a bulls**t part p course is what i was saying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rant away mate, you should report the fellow. I'am surprised about your inspector though, Mines **** hot everything has to be spot on even requires complaint procedures, health and safety, checks my public liability the works.

i think i will be speakinng to the niceic regarding this installation, i get the impression that the original installer is just perhaps not competent enough to be carrying out electrical work as opposed to just being a rough a**e. the kind of things written on the cert were just bizare. it turns out that he had told the customer that he would be bringing his niceic inspector along to view the work on his annual review. shame he didnt.

theskid, i ment if you have the 16th but not the 17th. i didnt mean you cant do it if you have the 17th.

jules hurley. electricians have to work in accordance with part p. we dont have to go and do a bulls**t part p course is what i was saying.

Just want to know if i gave my job up to do 2391 which im only 16th editionwould it get paid for or do i have to be unemployed for over 6 months?How long have you been unemployed? DOM85
also would i get help with 17th if i was unemployed and did it after 2391 as not to go over 30 hours a week thing?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to confused about part P do i need it? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock