Currently reading:
Consumer unit upgrade TT system

Discuss Consumer unit upgrade TT system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Appreciate a bit of advice regarding this that I'm doing in the morning-

Consumer unit upgrade in house with 6mm gas & water bonding existing (leaving bonding as it is). Existing rod in house with 6mm up to CU.

(Existing install) From a TT system in the house there is a 2.5/1.0 T&E running to a detached outhouse (perhaps, four meters from the back of the house) feeding an existing fuseboard in there with BS3036 fuses for 15A sockets radial and 5A one light.

The outhouse has a copper water pipe supplying a washing machine. This isn't bonded where it rises from the concrete floor in the outbuilding and there isn't a seperate rod in there. The only earthing of anything in there is the 1.0mm CPC of the T&E submain & CPCs of light/sockets.

Am I right in thinking that the CPC in the T&E won't suffice in the requirements for equipotential bonding in the outbuilding (it appears that the T&E is ran under the concrete back yard in plastic conduit.. many years ago). If I install a rod & earth conductor to the existing BS3036 unit in the outbuilding and bonding between this unit & the copper pipework in the outbuilding, should I insulate the 1.0mm CPC in the T&E submain from the outbuilding installation (at the outbuilding end)? Or leave it connected at both ends- in the house and the outbuilding. If either is acceptable would it be best practice to leave it connected both ends?

I am quite aware of requirements when exporting TNS and TNCS but I've never came across TT in the main building with an outbuilding where bonding is required.

This is hopefully obvious to one of you who may read this before tomorrow :)

I don't know where he is, it could easily be the frozen north. They have icebergs and polar bears everywhere north of Watford don't they?

...The day before yesterday,i was running back and forth,outdoors,taking readings with an AC/DC clamp ammeter,alternating between loads,(see what i did,there...)...and get thrashed with the hail storm...

...Me tee-shirt was soaked :joker:

Afternoon everyone, just to update the thread with regards to the job to help anyone who reads this in the future in a similar situation. I installed a 4ft rod to the outbuilding, 80 Ohms. Bonded the water. Phoned NAPIT technical support who advised me that it was acceptable to leave the CPC in the submain T&E connected, however if I wished I could disconnect it. I left it connected.

I left the existing rod in the house as I found it, tested & reconnected it to the earth bar in the new CU.

Now lets not have any bickering, enjoy the bank holiday weekend!

My preference would be <1Ω

So where does 80Ω come from?
Would it be that it just happens to be 80Ω on this installation and you can grab the money and run without any real work?

Okay, I realise TT earth impedance topics are always emotional events but please stay on topic and play the ball, not the man. Take a deep breath.....in through the nose .....and.......out through the mouth.....and repeat once more. See, you're feeling better already and just read the advice in my sig now before posting.

Seriously, keep it civil!!

I see our friend has once again come along and arbitrarily decided off his own back what's constructive and what isn't. What a waste of time contributing, it's now a meaningless dead as a doornail thread!!

I've never seen so much censorship.
Marv's missed his true vocation in life, 20 odd years too late, as an Eastern European civil servant! :smilielol5:

I've added a redundant gas pipe to an earth nest. Seemed a shame to waste it.

I would say that's good thinking.

I got the idea from the first substation I was involved with. Four 8” dia 120’ long continuous welded pipes took the 11KV cables under 2 railway lines and three roads. Where they protruded in to the cable chamber we welded studs on and connected them to the MET.

I got the idea from the first substation I was involved with. Four 8” dia 120’ long continuous welded pipes took the 11KV cables under 2 railway lines and three roads. Where they protruded in to the cable chamber we welded studs on and connected them to the MET.

Just an off the wall thing for you here Guru; Do you know anything about instumentation with the ABP logo on it?

I'm talking about 20" dials with pointers driven by a Selsyn? unit and had bugin lamps arranged around the circumference of the dial. and Cam switches which were Honeywell micro switches operated by cams driven through> a reduction gearbox.

Another one was a Drum Indicator which was an aluminium cylinder about 4" diameter x maybe 20" long. It was mounted vertically behind a panel which had a vertical slot about half inch wide cut through from top to bottom so you could see part of the drum.

There was a helical line drawn around the drum from top to bottom and one side of the line the drum was painted black and the other was painted red (from memory) as the drum turned - again driven by a selyn - the slot in the front plate would fill from top to bottom either red or black. I believe this was indicating the level of something somewher in the plant.

I used to make these damned things from start to finish including the engraving which was sometimes in Spanish but never knew what the were for.

I think these things were used in the iron & steel making industry.

My best recorded reading was 0.13, earth rod bang outside the front door. Got upstairs and it was also a tns and tncs. Had to chuckle.. I'm sure I've got the pic someone. Bare with and I'll post it

Just an off the wall thing for you here Guru; Do you know anything about instumentation with the ABP logo on it?

I'm talking about 20" dials with pointers driven by a Selsyn? unit and had bugin lamps arranged around the circumference of the dial. and Cam switches which were Honeywell micro switches operated by cams driven through> a reduction gearbox.

Another one was a Drum Indicator which was an aluminium cylinder about 4" diameter x maybe 20" long. It was mounted vertically behind a panel which had a vertical slot about half inch wide cut through from top to bottom so you could see part of the drum.

There was a helical line drawn around the drum from top to bottom and one side of the line the drum was painted black and the other was painted red (from memory) as the drum turned - again driven by a selyn - the slot in the front plate would fill from top to bottom either red or black. I believe this was indicating the level of something somewher in the plant.

I used to make these damned things from start to finish including the engraving which was sometimes in Spanish but never knew what the were for.

I think these things were used in the iron & steel making industry.

The first gauge you mention rings a bell. They were used on Canadian Calcamatic kilns. They were towards the centre of the panel which means they must have been part of the combustion control. What for I can’t remember. All the burner control was by Honeywell and GE. Selsyn were part of GE.

The second “thing” I haven’t a clue. but I'm sure I've seen them.

Reply to Consumer unit upgrade TT system in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock