Currently reading:
Crimps in consumer unit?

Discuss Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

Hi all

Is there anywhere in the regs about using crimps in a consumer unit?

I have a 32a ring circuit and would like to add some additional sockets in a room where the consumer unit is. There are no local sockets nearby and no spare ways in consumer unit. Therefore, I was planning on extending the existing ring circuit by crimping one leg with a new leg then continue the ring back to the mcb (if you get my drift)

Is this acceptable?

Dont think thier is a reg that stops you doing it how else would you edxtend a cable that broke but if you need to move a cu it may be worth looking at din rail by line

Yep no problem with that however make sure you double check that the crimps are sound and use a proper crimping tool. I personally only ever use them as a last resort and not that keen on wagos either. I now await the barrage of people cussing me for saying this.

Yep no problem with that however make sure you double check that the crimps are sound and use a proper crimping tool. I personally only ever use them as a last resort and not that keen on wagos either. I now await the barrage of people cussing me for saying this.

I was really dubious of wagos to start mate, but i gotta say, now i couldnt live without them, and they have zero failure rate, and a damn sight quicker.

Yes perfectly acceptable, I'd say a good job too better than connector block

Lets hope it's a ratchet crimping tool for starters. Using crimps, straight through or eyelet or whatever type have always been good practice on stranded or flexible cores however on solid cores a screwed terminal is the way forward.

Screwed terminals are so "last year" have used wagos, ideal connectors and hellerman, not had 1 problem that I know of, connector blocks are on there way out, even crimps for a one in one out Connection are better than connector block

Screwless connectors haven't been around long enough in domestic circuits to be able to say they are faultless.

Screwless connectors have however been around in commercial / industrial installations for a long time and they do fail.

As brought up many times on here regarding crimpng ... solid cores should not be crimped with standard lugs and ratchet crimp they are designed for stranded cables, the ratchet crimp most people have is the wrong one and also you will have to source the correct crimps to as your standard crimps also are not for solid, so either use a dinrail mount connectors in appropriate enclosures or use I-Line / Wagos etc thats of course if you dont want to use bog standard connectors.

As brought up many times on here regarding crimpng ... solid cores should not be crimped with standard lugs and ratchet crimp they are designed for stranded cables, the ratchet crimp most people have is the wrong one and also you will have to source the correct crimps to as your standard crimps also are not for solid, so either use a dinrail mount connectors in appropriate enclosures or use I-Line / Wagos etc thats of course if you dont want to use bog standard connectors.
I like this answer that was what I was getting at with the question on MICC, well put, also whatever anyone else thinks I would still feel happier with screwed connections.

Getting back to the original question why don't you pull one leg of the ring out of the CU terminate it into a enclosed JB extend the ring to your new sockets and back to the CU all done and dusted and a good job at that.

i would rather use waggo,but if the connection is accessable[ie:inside cu or in cu enclosure]/ in jb then terminal strip or 3 terminal jb should be ok

Reply to Crimps in consumer unit? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock