Search the forum,

Discuss distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The problem the OP will need to get a well seasoned person in who has plenty of experience with both MICC and old installs, the MICC is very durable and can be expected to last a century even with a few bashes but the issue is is how good the pots were made off originally, disturbing rested pots can cause all manor of issues and its even worse in old listed buildings as its likely to be imperial - I've had to rescue many a failed attempt at upgrading DB's with MICC's as part of the install and I heard they are introducing it back in in teaching... it disappeared with from colleges with the introduction of FP cables and as part of the dumming down to ensure high pass rates for political gain but thats another thread altogether.

Most of the new generation of 'Electricians'! no longer have the skill set that were essential and a requirement only 2 decades ago... hence it is so diluted now you can be called one after 5 weeks!

Last edited:
I hope this other electrician has a decent experience of MICC, especially if any of the terminations needs re-terminating for any reason, as the chances are that from your description these will be the older imperial sized MICC cables....

EDIT....Must of had the same thoughts at the same time as darkwood!! lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
7448a04346fd90ac3e1267ff225f2b7b.jpg

It is a bit early and I’ve just taken my morning medication so popcorn wont sit well on top of them.

Sonia, take a bit of advice, walk away.
It’s clear you haven’t a clue what you’re doing and if it goes wrong………… It may be a church, god won’t help you if insurance gets involved.

So cut the top bit off with the holes in it and use that as the template

My point is that it doesn't matter how many there are in there, the job should be done properly and not bodged with turning old DBs into unnecessary joint boxes.

Is it really that bad to extend the circuits? I appreciate if there wasn't space then a direct swap would be necessary but given the additional work and not to mention the problems that could be created from moving the old micc. Installing a JB and extending the circuits to a new DB seems like quite a logical solution.

Forgetting the dumbing down of the trade etc what is so bad about extending the cables?

Is it really that bad to extend the circuits? I appreciate if there wasn't space then a direct swap would be necessary but given the additional work and not to mention the problems that could be created from moving the old micc. Installing a JB and extending the circuits to a new DB seems like quite a logical solution.

Forgetting the dumbing down of the trade etc what is so bad about extending the cables?
davespark is stuck up his own arse is the problem, he seems to be forgetting the fact a modern board will probably be bigger as well so might need a new location.

nothing wrong with joints in any circuits according to the regs as long as there maintenance free or accessible so why would a jb not be allowed?

Wash your mouth out young man, how dare you, don't you know that all professional electricians on here must keep up with the notion that there are the worlds best and anything like that would be a disgrace!!!

Using the existing enclosure as a junction box, is not such a bad idea if you think about it logically. Not sure how many bare MICCs there are, but, think about the problems when dealing with old existing MICCs, the problems that could arise from trying to move them about into a new DB, doesn't bare thinking about, it's not ideal I grant you, but probably the best idea, I have done it this way on many occasions, done properly it doesn't look to bad, that's my take anyway, like it or lump it.

So you would create additional work making up a JB rather than a minor rework of the pyro to suit the newboard

davespark is stuck up his own arse is the problem, he seems to be forgetting the fact a modern board will probably be bigger as well so might need a new location.

nothing wrong with joints in any circuits according to the regs as long as there maintenance free or accessible so why would a jb not be allowed?

May be it is you that are up the darkside up to 15 - 20 years ago this was a bread and butter job and only slightly more complicated than swapping a domestic CU to those with MICC experience, adding jb's or converting enclosures to jb's is just creating unnecessary clutter

Yes pyro can become work hardened but it doesn't mean it cannot be reworked into a new board if needed if the old board has a removable gland plate I would possibly be tempted to make this fit the new board to save some aggro but if it doesn't as previous posters have said it is not that difficult to drill the new board to suit

I think this is a bit of an ambitious job for the OP as a first job and even with the assistance of an experienced spark it won't give you instant competence on MICC work as there are quite a few different termination methods that have been used over the years and you still find the aluminium variants very occasionally

Using the existing enclosure as a junction box, is not such a bad idea if you think about it logically. Not sure how many bare MICCs there are, but, think about the problems when dealing with old existing MICCs, the problems that could arise from trying to move them about into a new DB, doesn't bare thinking about, it's not ideal I grant you, but probably the best idea, I have done it this way on many occasions, done properly it doesn't look to bad, that's my take anyway, like it or lump it.
Aaaahhhhh! stop it stop it stop it.

Reply to distribution board in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back