Discuss DIY - Wiring extractor fan with no timer to light switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

bluewhale

DIY
Reaction score
Hi there.

Recently our bathroom extractor fan broke, so I got a new one but I'm having difficulty wiring it (homeowner DIY guy here).
So... there are 3 wires coming from bathroom wall:
  1. brown (Live)
  2. blue (Neutral)
  3. yellow/green (Ground).
Previously, old extractor fan used all 3 of those wires since it had timer built in and within it it had 4 pin connector, that used oned 3 pins in (live,netural,ground) and 4 pins out through timer scheme.

However new fan has only 2 pin connector built in and I'm wondering, how to wire it so I can turn it with the right light switch (the one that previously only turned on extractor fan) or worst case scenario turn the fan together with light when left light switch is on?

I imagine I need to isolate brown (Live) wire, so it wouldn't run 24/7, but what about the rest? I'm totally lost.

Thank you in advance!

TL;DR
Extractor fan has only 2 pin connector built in. How to wire it so I can turn it with the light switch? I imagine I need to isolate brown (Live) wire, so it wouldn't run 24/7, but what about the rest?
If those were the only wires to the original fan, it did not have a built in timer, or at least didn't have one that was in use. It could possibly have a remote timer situated elsewhere, or there's the unacceptable and dangerous possibility that the green/yellow 'earth' wire is actually a live wire. In this case, electrician needed.
If your new fan only has two connections, then it does not have a built in timer (unless there's a pull cord hanging from it), and it is a class 2 appliance, which doesn't require an earth connection.

If those were the only wires to the original fan, it did not have a built in timer, or at least didn't have one that was in use. It could possibly have a remote timer situated elsewhere, or there's the unacceptable and dangerous possibility that the green/yellow 'earth' wire is actually a live wire. In this case, electrician needed.
If your new fan only has two connections, then it does not have a built in timer (unless there's a pull cord hanging from it), and it is a class 2 appliance, which doesn't require an earth connection.
Yeah, old one was triggered with second light switch. I'm pretty sure that ground is ground.. so question is, should I tuck and isolate live and use only neutral?

It does sound like the earth has been used as a live.

Long shot, but did you take a photo of the connections before disconnecting?

You need a voltage tester, and the knowledge and understanding to use it properly.
If there’s power on the earth wire… you have got a serious issue.

I double checked it - brown is live for sure, yellow/green is ground. Blue I suppose was used to switch old fan with 4pins. I swallowed my ego and I called local electritian to come and simply check the wiring (if its okay) and connect the fan - I don't feel comfortable doing it myself anymore for obvious reasons :D

Thanks for all replies - I will drop a message and picture tomorrow.

Reactions: DPG
Thanks @brianmoooore and @littlespark for input. Luckily ground was not even needed nor it was putting out any electricity.
Got to isolate brown wire in the end and everything worked like a charm.

Reply to DIY - Wiring extractor fan with no timer to light switch. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock