Discuss Earthing rod in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Now I'll admit I'm the wrong person to ask about domestic equipment. Always been in to heavy industrial. Other lads on here will tell you the makes to avoid. To my mind they are not fit for purpose. As an idea, there was a thread a short while ago about RCBO's fitted in a caravan. slightly different situation but well worth the read as I recall. Use the search in the top right look for RCBO caravan, it should bring it up for you. PS I've got a new laptop and can't get line break to work, hence the long rambling post.

Now I'll admit I'm the wrong person to ask about domestic equipment. Always been in to heavy industrial. Other lads on here will tell you the makes to avoid. To my mind they are not fit for purpose. As an idea, there was a thread a short while ago about RCBO's fitted in a caravan. slightly different situation but well worth the read as I recall. Use the search in the top right look for RCBO caravan, it should bring it up for you. PS I've got a new laptop and can't get line break to work, hence the long rambling post.

Are you just talking about SP RCBO's on TT systems, or the use of SP RCBO's as a whole Tony??

"PS TT systems should be banned,electricity boards should change them to TN-C-S the Ze and Zs on TT's is atrocious "

There is a very good reason for using TT systems in the right locations. If you live on the top of a hill where lightning is likely to strike, do you really want to get fried when you flush the loo?

Last edited:
problem with domestics, though , tony is it's generally impossible, space wise, to fit out a CU with 2 pole RCBOs. you'd be needing to fit a CU 2'6" wide.

So that makes them OK then? They don't offer the correct protection, but they fit in and look nice. I'm loosing the plot somewhere.

I don't think single pole units are of any use what so ever. They can't clear a N>E fault so what good are they?

When has a typical MCB/Fuse ever been able to clear a N-E fault on typical single phase TN systems etc ??

Having said that, there are single unit sized RCBO's that open both PH and N poles. Maybe over time, these will become the norm. One of the main reasons that countries like France and other European countries use DP breakers and the like, is the extensive use of TT systems. Some of those DB boards can be 3 times the size of a typical UK domestic CU.

Reply to Earthing rod in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net