Search the forum,

Discuss EICR advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

peterh

-
Reaction score
A bit of advice/opinion please.
A local cricket club has had a EICR done at the request of their insurers. The secretary is a friend and asked me to quote but as it Three Phase which I have little experience of I'll give it a miss. However having seen the report I'm puzzled by a couple of C1's - 'No RCD protection on shower circuits' and 'No fire hoods on recessed luminaires'. The clubhouse is about 20 years old and effectively a commercial premises so I thought latest regs/Part P would not apply. The firm that did the EICR is quoting for the work but I don't want the club to incur unnecessary costs. Have I misunderstood?

A Install cant fail a EICR just because it doesnt meet currant regulations, However the regulations apply to all installs and not just domestic properties. Code 1 - Imediate danger present, This is things like exposed live parts Etc. as for code one on no RCD on a shower.. If it purley because the is no RCD present then I feel code 1 is not nessessary.. No rcd but access to live parts then yes a code 1. As for no fire hoods on lighting.. is there insulation sitting on top of the lights or not? Out of curiuosity how much have they quoted to deem the instalation satasfactory.

A bit of advice/opinion please.
A local cricket club has had a EICR done at the request of their insurers. The secretary is a friend and asked me to quote but as it Three Phase which I have little experience of I'll give it a miss. However having seen the report I'm puzzled by a couple of C1's - 'No RCD protection on shower circuits' and 'No fire hoods on recessed luminaires'. The clubhouse is about 20 years old and effectively a commercial premises so I thought latest regs/Part P would not apply. The firm that did the EICR is quoting for the work but I don't want the club to incur unnecessary costs. Have I misunderstood?

The Test and inspection will be carried out to the regs current at the time of inspection

Changes to the regulations since the installation date does not mean that it must comply with the current regs,but must be safe for continued use

Most shower manufacturers recommend Rcd protection, those recommendations should be taken account of
Recessed luminaires may be breaching fire compartments,the type of recessed light used would determine fire risk

This is a jobsworth you cannot C1 a shower room put in 20 years ago plus recessed lights yep they are a fire hazard so why did we as a country allow them to be installed. Also beware if you are a self employed electrician and you do a job for your local sports or social club to help them out and something happens then your insurance could be claimed against and don't expect the committee to protect you

Just to clarify, whilst the requirments for RCD protection for socket-outlets and cables concealed in walls, can often depend on the type of installation.
The requirements for RCD protection for locations containing a bath or shower, and for mobile equipment used outdoors, apply in all installation, whether commercial, domestic or whatever.

If its a shower room open to public as such i would C2 it as the use of the building in my opinion would benefit from it. As for hoods, if there are signs of over heating above the down lights it could be a fire risk and therefore a C1 or C2 depending on inspector

If the supplementry bonding is satisfactory then for the shower not having an RCD, this too me, would warrant a C3 - It's been adequate to past regulations, and although doesn't comply currently, it did before. This too me is a classic C3.

Hood's depends on the install - we've argued about this on here before. I could be wrong with this, but if there is living space (a bedroom) above, then there has to be hoods? Common sense really, on how much insulation is present. Doesn't take much to fit hoods though, so i personally would have that done if there is any doubt raised about it (depending on how many their was to do.)

Part P is for abodes (houses,flats, lived in premises etc) not cricket pavillions isn't it unless I haven't read any amendments lately, And I do need to read it again for sure

Theres a cricket pavillion near me though that has a living quaters above it for the groundsman. He said effectivley commericial, which implies theres no-one living there so...what the muggins above me said :p

As regards to the hoods(if it was living quaters), i am literally clueless...DIY jokes heading my way i guess lol? Really gonna have to sit down and read about them and fully understand when and where they are / aren't needed.

its called smoke and mirrors that try to fool everybody that 50p Pat tests and £60 EICRs can be done without cutting corners and people like me and you are just cowboys

Thanks for the replies. The clubhouse has no living accomodation, and no insulation in the roof space - It was freezing when I went to check earlier! From what everyone has said I was right to think the C1's a bit harsh. I'll try and get a look at the quote for the remedials to see if they're trying it on and advise accordingly.

I'll put it out there, given what you've just said Peter...

Too me, although i stand to be corrected (hopefully not by KAS though :laugh3:) then theres no need for hoods.

Reply to EICR advice in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back