Currently reading:
Fault on kitchen ring

Discuss Fault on kitchen ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

TheCodboy

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all. Had a phone call about a tripping RCD. The customer had narrowed it down to the kitchen ring. When I go there,it was indeed the kitchen ring causing the tripping. Firstly checked the usual,nothing plugged in to any of the sockets. Checked the connections at the sockets,these were all fine. Checked end to ends,had continuity on L,N & E. Carried out IR between LN & E at 250v,very low reading,virtually zero. Also tested L-E N-E & L-N. All very low. Now,the cables in the kitchen are red/black and the cables at the board are Brown/Blue. There no sign of any crimps etc at the board (which by the way is a total mess). So I’m thinking hidden joints/jb could be the source of the problem?? Any pointers would be appreciated!

The customer hasn’t told me of anything else being off but I’ll certainly double check!
Top tip for you - never believe what a customer tells you.

I think you should have spent a little more time on site and found what does what and at least attempted to locate the fault. You could end up rewiring the kitchen ring, only to find out the fault was at a socket in the living room, all along.

Nice & tidy install....
D34C05EF-5A6B-4C54-82C0-3D017F9671F5.jpeg

Hi all. Had a phone call about a tripping RCD. The customer had narrowed it down to the kitchen ring. When I go there,it was indeed the kitchen ring causing the tripping. Firstly checked the usual,nothing plugged in to any of the sockets. Checked the connections at the sockets,these were all fine. Checked end to ends,had continuity on L,N & E. Carried out IR between LN & E at 250v,very low reading,virtually zero. Also tested L-E N-E & L-N. All very low. Now,the cables in the kitchen are red/black and the cables at the board are Brown/Blue. There no sign of any crimps etc at the board (which by the way is a total mess). So I’m thinking hidden joints/jb could be the source of the problem?? Any pointers would be appreciated!

May I suggest a couple of comments here?
Never accept a job without making sure the client knows what your hourly rate is.
Never leave a job undone.

I was asked to solve a lighting problem in a garden, looked at the garden and told the client it would probably take 3 months.
it took about 3 years and found dozens of them....

Reply to Fault on kitchen ring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back