Currently reading:
Help needed re-wiring my garage

Discuss Help needed re-wiring my garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gary Holmes

hi
The electrics in my garage are a complete mess. So I've taken everything out and started to renew everything . I have installed a garage consumer unit . I have managed to install the armoured cable .
I am now stuck at lights . I have taken a feed from the cu to a fluorescent light and a feed to another fluorescent light . And a feed from the first fluorescent light to a switch . I am unsure of the wiring from the first light to the switch . Do I just follow the live neutral earth feed all the way through ? Thanks

IMG_5235.JPG

IMG_5236.JPG

I think before proceeding any further, a previous point was made that the installation of a consumer unit is notifiable to the lbc, do you know how you are going to do this?
This is how it previously looked
If I need to notify anyone I will
But it is a previous installation that was done by someone and I'm just renewing it

IMG_4958.JPG

If you research Part P, you will find that the installation of a consumer unit requires notification to the local building control (LBC).
This can be done in one of two ways;
By an electrician enrolled in a government approved scheme, who will notify via said scheme.
Or by prior arrangement with the LBC, who will arrange inspection and testing of the installation, which normally attracts a fee, my LBC charges £400+vat.
Do you know which route you will follow?

Gary. If you have an electrician coming over to 'have a look' before turning on the power, take my advice and get him in to do the work in its entirety. If you asking questions on how to wire up this installation, you are not competent.
It is not worth your safety or that of your family. I think enough is enough now.

Whatever the electrician says
If you research Part P, you will find that the installation of a consumer unit requires notification to the local building control (LBC).
This can be done in one of two ways;
By an electrician enrolled in a government approved scheme, who will notify via said scheme.
Or by prior arrangement with the LBC, who will arrange inspection and testing of the installation, which normally attracts a fee, my LBC charges £400+vat.
Do you know which route you will follow?[

If I need to notify anyone I will

Well, seeing as you've installed a Consumer Unit, you most certainly will. Refer yourself to Part P of The Building Regulations.

Then, make sure you have sufficient funds in your bank account to cover the bill they're going to hit you with, and to cover the cost of the remedial works. It really is cheaper (and better) to just get a fully qualified Electrician on the job!

What type of circuit and what size of cable are you intending using to feed the double socket from the 32A MCB? Daz

Reply to Help needed re-wiring my garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back