Discuss Help with fitting lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

nickjett

DIY
Reaction score
Ok this has probably been asked before..so im sorry but im really struggling. Im not an electrician by the way lol

Im trying to fit two new light fittings in the kitchen. Ill name them kitche 1 and Kitchen 2

I managed to get the Kitchen 1 working..it took a while of trial and error. I dont have a multimeter so had to manually try each wire to find the live one from the switch. Downstairs i have lounge, hall, kitchen and garage.

at the minute the lights that work are the lounge, hall and Kitchen 1.

Now the kitchen 2 i have tried all three black wires and none of them seem to work. there was a point where the kitchen 2 came on and the kitchen 1didnt no idea what i did. I also had another scenario where the kitchen 1 and kitchen 2 and garage light blinked continually. Hall and lounge lights where fine.

At the minute kitchen 2 light fixing is hanging from the ceiling. If i remove it is there a way i can test the setup by making sure certain wires touch each other? For example If kitchen 1 is fitted correctly and i make sure where kitchen 2 fixing would be...all of the 3 red wires are touching each other then make sure all three black are touching, should that mean my garage lights should work? Im sure i have done this but it didnt work

Sorry if some of that doesnt make sense

Some pics may or not help. No point asking if you took some pics before you dismantled it.

What wires have you got IN TOTAL at each light.

It sounds like 3 red and 3 black…. Not including the earths. (These should sleeved in green/yellow and be connected to the fitting if metal)

3 reds should be permanent live that is looped between all your lighting points. These will not be connected to the light itself.

3 blacks… 2 of them should be looped neutral, the other one a switched live from the switch. Should be marked with red tape or sleeving. These go to L and N of the fitting

Get these wrong, and you end up with live and neutral across a switch, and will go bang if operated… do it too many times and you’ll damage the switch, or the circuit breaker.

Reply to Help with fitting lights in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net