Currently reading:
hotel Ze 2.8 ohms

Discuss hotel Ze 2.8 ohms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
started a periodic inspection on a hotel today to find out the Ze was 2.8 ohms which now means that a lot of my Zs values are above what they should be. a PME connection is rquired but if the installation has to be bought up to 17th edition (as it is in domestic situations)before the SSE will provide the connection then the whole hotel would require total upgrading at major costs. has anyone come across anything like this before ??

DNO's problem then IMHO. Is the clamp in reasonable condition as far as you can tell? Worth getting them to have a look at upgrading the tails as well (if necessary).

Is it single or three phase supply?

It won't necessarily need to be brought entirely up to 17th. Depending on the state of the wiring and what additional work is being asked for/necsessary as a result of the PIR.

Firstly when testing realy you should test the supply parameters first IE: the Ze test , reason for this is this will ensure the supply complies with the readings set out in the regs also the Zs results as you have found out also when you have done the R1R2 tests it gives you an idea of what results you should expect Ze + R1R2 = Zs

As for the earthing arrangements what you have describled does sound like a TNS system but it could well be a TT , i have come across this on occasions where the outer sheath has been connected but have later found out that the sheath has not been connected in the main junction underground

Last edited by a moderator:
I tested a TN-S system today and got a value of 5.85 ohms - the reason, no bonding connection between the CU and the main connection point provided by the DNO.

Seems it may have been like this since 1966 when the house was built!

Today I tested a Ze on TN-S to be 1.62

Obviously this would throw all my Zs values out. So rang central networks and they said someone will be out straight away, 1 hour later they turn up, confirm with there own meter I am correct in my Ze reading. He pulls the main fuse and that's it... It's not going back on.. The home owner was gob smacked! Powers off me duck and not going back on until they've dug the road up and sorted the problem.

He then goes to the house next door and gets an external loop of 2.41.... Fuse gets pulled and the family with all the children are very upset at having there power turned off all of a sudden!

I had also pee'd off the kitchen fitters and plumbers working in the house...if I had not turned up to test this power cut would of never happened!

Today I tested a Ze on TN-S to be 1.62

Obviously this would throw all my Zs values out. So rang central networks and they said someone will be out straight away, 1 hour later they turn up, confirm with there own meter I am correct in my Ze reading. He pulls the main fuse and that's it... It's not going back on.. The home owner was gob smacked! Powers off me duck and not going back on until they've dug the road up and sorted the problem.

He then goes to the house next door and gets an external loop of 2.41.... Fuse gets pulled and the family with all the children are very upset at having there power turned off all of a sudden!

I had also pee'd off the kitchen fitters and plumbers working in the house...if I had not turned up to test this power cut would of never happened!

Ask them if they'd rather fry in the event of a fault!

Reply to hotel Ze 2.8 ohms in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back