Discuss Todays bag of fun in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Just venting a little....
At 2:45pm I'd finished another job early. So I thought I'd have an initial look around a really small 2 bed bungalow due an EICR. It only has Lounge, Kitchen, small passage, 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. In my head this would be nice simple, almost relaxing end to the day.
The landlord was a pleasant chap and was totally honest that it hadn't been inspected since he owned it (15 years) or even when he bought it.

Unfortunately it didn't get off to a brilliant start. First 4 things I looked at:
1 - Mysteriously find TNS earthing abandoned (testing at 0.32 ohms) in favour of TT (89 ohms). I'd better mention that the property is currently vacant. I'll be trying to get DNO out in the morning to confirm the TNS is ok to use again.

1615913150591.png

2 - Gas bonding for giants on stilts. Closer to 600 cm than 600mm .
Then it got even better, when I tested it I got over 2 ohms, and further investigation revealed a large coil of abandoned 10mm cable in loft not connected to anything at all. The Landlord agreed best use of time today was to sort that before carrying on so I spent the majority of remainder of afternoon sorting that and moving it lower.

1615913289771.png
1615913337793.png

(On the plus side the mains water bonding was connected and worked.)

3 - Next, bathroom bonding conductor not connected. Ok, simple enough to fix.

1615913399069.png

4 - I turn to lighting - maybe a taster of what is yet to come....?!

1615913450433.png

The found all ceiling roses have 20 layers of paint on them and crack if you look at them and the kitchen fluorescent rotated on it's one screw when I put a probe on it.
Tomorrow I need to investigate why all of the kitchen sockets have really high resistance on the fixing screws compared to the R2 - I suspect metric thread extenders are loose in the original imperial lugs.

But to end on a positive note, at least the electrics in this place are finally being looked at.
Vent over. Thank you.

Reply to Todays bag of fun in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net