Search the forum,

Discuss Identifying TNC and TNCS in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bazultra

Does anyone else find it difficult identifying between the two. for example today I had an installation where the main incomer was not accessible without cutting off the metal ties that the electricity board had put on it. I just assumed it must be TNCS due to the continuity between the neutral conductors and CPCS. Any thoughts or advice on this would be much appreciated> Thanks fellow sparks.

Baz

You cannot assume that. If the installation is fed from a dedicated transformer, then it is almost certainly a PNB, which is recorded as a TNS.
On all standard delta:star transformers, the star point must be earthed. This is called the neutral bond.
The neutral bond can be made at the transformer, or as is often the case in large industrial situations, at the incoming section of the panelboard.
This looks like a TNC-S system, however it is not. The bonding requirements are as a TNS system, as you don't have the added danger of other installations diverted neutral currents.

Why would the continuity between the CPC and Neutral bar tell you its TNC-S? Why not TNS?

Never had a problem myself either, usually pretty easy to identify if a proper TNC-S.

Are there any other clear indications of what earthing arrangement it could be without access to the main incomer? In domestic installations I found it very easy to identify what earthing arrangement was being used as it was right in front of me or the earth stake was in the garden somewhere. Im not as experience in commercial or industrial installs

As above, never really had an issue, seen a couple of instances where a former TN-S install has been PME'd and I had to double check I was thinking, but generally it's straightforward just by looking at the equipment.

Are there any other clear indications of what earthing arrangement it could be without access to the main incomer?

A loop test is a good start if you had to work it out without looking at the incommer, the ZE reading on a TNC-S will be completely different than that of a TT system for example and usually (not always) will be different than a TNS, why wouldn't the incommer be available to look at though?

A loop test is a good start if you had to work it out without looking at the incommer, the ZE reading on a TNC-S will be completely different than that of a TT system for example and usually (not always) will be different than a TNS, why wouldn't the incommer be available to look at though?

Not on one of E54's installs it wouldn't! :smilielol5:

Reply to Identifying TNC and TNCS in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock