Discuss Moving wooden blocked light switches/extending wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MartinJ

DIY
Reaction score
Good Evening All

A chap who lives down the road from me has suggested he wishes to move some light switches in his house (he owns the house).

I would like some clarification of the following please (although I'm fairly sure you will all agree with most if not all, of what follows)

The light switches are of the brown Bakelite circular type mounted on wooden blocks (He even has one mounted shoulder height, right above the bottom end of the bath!!!!).

He has lived in the house 30 years, but of course, I for one am fully aware they are probably at least twice this age.

Not sure if the switch covers are screw fitted or screw on (if the latter, removable without the the use of a tool and therefore I imagine, cannot be put back into service once removed from the wall).

Since he wishes to move the switches, this would invariably mean having to use new switches, since the wooden blocks are no longer permitted?

A lighting system of this age is extremely unlikely to have a CPC, so he certainly cannot use metal switches (though he hasn't actually suggested this).

It is highly likely to be wired in rubber, cloth etc, which may disintegrate upon handling it from removing switches.

Even if the insulation and/or sheathing is intact, to move the switches would almost certainly require extension of the existing wiring with additional cables, and even if plastic fittings were to be used, there would be nowhere for the CPC in the new cables to be connected to on the existing circuit(s). I am aware all plastic fittings do not actually require a CPC, I would imagine it though to be considered as 'bad practice' to extend off an existing circuit such as above with new cable with CPC (especially as in many, many years down the line someone may replace the plastic fittings with metal and 'assume' there is a CPC in all of the existing circuit.

Although he hasn't stated whether any new cabling will be surface run or concealed, if the latter then the RCD issue raises it's head.

The cables might be run in conduit, which will be difficult to cut etc.

What about the scenario if a switch is moved to a position which happens to be the direction the cables are run from and are not in conduit, are in good condition and therefore just need shortening? ( I gather the existing switches and wooden blocks still cannot be re-used?).

Kind Regards

How old are these houses?

Are the switches like this?

92FED9D4-CA66-4E5E-BBA3-D88E5E0236D3.jpeg

as you see, these ones are conduit box mounted, but will be an imperial size.

the wooden backed ones may be fed from a lead sheathed twin cable buried in the plaster... no conduit.

can the wooden plate be replaced with plastic, or a laminate??

love to see what this house uses as a consumer unit.
Rcd protection?

• Optimistic
Reactions: DPG
How old are these houses?

Are the switches like this?

View attachment 59477

as you see, these ones are conduit box mounted, but will be an imperial size.

the wooden backed ones may be fed from a lead sheathed twin cable buried in the plaster... no conduit.

can the wooden plate be replaced with plastic, or a laminate??

love to see what this house uses as a consumer unit.
Rcd protection?

I am not sure of the age of the house, but I am sure it was something to do with a nearby Railway line that once was, closed to passengers in the early 1950s (another house nearby of the same style was the Station House) but regarding me saying the lighting circuit must be at least 60 years old, the house will be A HELL of a lot more than that.

I have only been in the chaps house about a couple of times, but noticed the switches are round bakelite mounted on square wooden blocks, wiring hidden, no surface wiring.

The CU is a standard range Wylex type, I only looked very swiftly, but probably wooden framed (in itself old, but not probably not as old as the wiring, well lighting circuit anyway).

No RCD protection as far as I am aware.

Regards

Reply to Moving wooden blocked light switches/extending wiring in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net