Currently reading:
New build sparkys

Discuss New build sparkys in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

RJS Contracts

Any new build housing sparks out there that can tell me rough prices for 1st fix- 2nd fix- and finals given to them as want to be fair to subbies coming in on price!!

Would need them across the board (2bed-5bed) on basic amount of skt outlets etc

Many thanks

varies from company to company i would imagin. All prices vary between the size obviously. At present we get £120 for a 1st fix, £30 for 2nd fix and £70 for 3rd fix, extras like board, testing, bonding, smokies etc on top of that. Thats for 2 bed flats but doesn't really improve that much wen it comes to houses. Not the best prices in the world but what can you do, as i say it varies, Hope this helps

Hi.

Where do most of you guys get your leads from.

regarding prices for new builds, did you manage to source anything good, if so could you pm me with some details. I would be interested to get comparisons so I can start pricing better in my area.

just looking for new ideas not started working myself yet, trying to get things in place.

There are specific requirements for the number of socket outlets etc dependand on size and usage,
There is also specific requirements for lighting and smoke detectors

If your new to this I would suggest you request fixed price tenders,
When sending out your invitations to tender make sure the scope of works is specific, get them all to quote for supply and fix make sure ( ask for the paperwork) they are at least part p registered ask for a list of clients .
Sound them out on a face to face basis.

Don't always go for the cheapest.
State in tender spec that you require ist fix test results on first fix completion .

the prices posted will not include materials -

There are specific requirements for the number of socket outlets etc dependand on size and usage,
There is also specific requirements for lighting and smoke detectors

If your new to this I would suggest you request fixed price tenders,
When sending out your invitations to tender make sure the scope of works is specific, get them all to quote for supply and fix make sure ( ask for the paperwork) they are at least part p registered ask for a list of clients .
Sound them out on a face to face basis.

Don't always go for the cheapest.
State in tender spec that you require ist fix test results on first fix completion .

the prices posted will not include materials -

If referring to me Bugsy We are a Electrical contractors getting into the new build sector and want to
give fair prices out! Will be taking on subbies on price that will have to 1st fix and 2nd fix each house as to eliminate the rough ones. Was thinking £150 for 2 bed house 1st fix with standard equipment to satisfy regs.

Cheers m8

what you gna test on your first fix ? .... that youve got batteries in your test meter lol

You should be carrying out various continuity and insulation tests during first fix to ensure there is no damage to cables that have been installed.

Not as laboriuos as going back to second fix and finding out the plumbers burnt a cable , the spreads cut off your ring cables cos their two long and now there's only 50mm sticking out the grommit, boarders stuffed all your cables in the ceiling and pulled to who know's where and you've got no recompense because you didnt get 1st fix signed off!

Not as laboriuos as going back to second fix and finding out the plumbers burnt a cable , the spreads cut off your ring cables cos their two long and now there's only 50mm sticking out the grommit, boarders stuffed all your cables in the ceiling and pulled to who know's where and you've got no recompense because you didnt get 1st fix signed off!

Bugsy what happens after you've tested it on your 1st fix does that mean no cables get damaged after you tested them

If referring to me Bugsy We are a Electrical contractors getting into the new build sector and want to
give fair prices out! Will be taking on subbies on price that will have to 1st fix and 2nd fix each house as to eliminate the rough ones. Was thinking £150 for 2 bed house 1st fix with standard equipment to satisfy regs.

Cheers m8

Sorry not trying to teach you to suck eggs thoiught you were a developer

No probs! And i think it wouldnt be your problem if youve had it signed off!! Someone else would pick up the bill of the wiring being rectified.

Bugsy what happens after you've tested it on your 1st fix does that mean no cables get damaged after you tested them

Get site manager to witness the testing ( he proberly won't be bothered , and get him to sing a photo copy of a certificate . ( just use this for first fix records )
If there is a problem you can prove that your installation was o.k. and the site manager will back you up because he won't want to admit he could'nt be asked to witness it ( this goes for large commercial as as new build)

I must admit, I have never heard of testing on a first fix of a house. I used to do these years ago, I could only first fix one house a day max, there were others who did more, but their work was bloody rough. These were 2 bed houses on a housing association site. Bear in mind this was back in 1994, I was geting 120 quid a day to first fix back then. It was quite hard work, I always prefered the 2nd fixing, but it didn't pay as well as first fixing! If somebody could educate me as to how a first fix test is carried out I would be most grateful.

I know what you mean. You would obviously have to literally 2nd fix hole installation using connector blocks or test every cable to make sure there were clear. Seems like alot of time would be spent!! Probably best to get site agent to visually inspect cables to sign off but doubt he would have the time to do that!!!

I must admit, I have never heard of testing on a first fix of a house. I used to do these years ago, I could only first fix one house a day max, there were others who did more, but their work was bloody rough. These were 2 bed houses on a housing association site. Bear in mind this was back in 1994, I was geting 120 quid a day to first fix back then. It was quite hard work, I always prefered the 2nd fixing, but it didn't pay as well as first fixing! If somebody could educate me as to how a first fix test is carried out I would be most grateful.

Connect up as for second fix ( we use wago 3 and 4 lever connectors ) carry out dead tests ( IR , R1 RN , R1/R2 record results . take off wago's a stick em back in the box for re use :D

when I was doing houses 3 years ago I paid 2 guys 200 for 1st fix in 1 day and I was doing one myself with my apprentices setting up drill and gennie and bringing in cable then going off 2nd fixing.Also 2nd fixing was 200 bout 1 1/2 days with 1/2 day test by me.
They were timber frame 3 bed house no ensuite or utility room bigger houses took 3 men 1 day to 1st fix, or 2 1 1/2 but we were doing these day in day out

Last edited:
1 spark 1 mate 1 house 200 quid .Its better than some prices quoted on here but this was 2/3 years ago when times were good and good men hard to get,I found it easier to pay and know it was done right and the guys would sort anything that wasnt. Although same guys have asked me latley for some houses on price I said 100 and I do think that they would have jumped at the chance ,but Im not doing so much now.
Where are you based?
The bigger houses were 4bed ensuite ,utility and garage

Last edited:
We cover Bedfordshire London and Surrey. Was thinking around them prices. If they are good they are quick and can pay a mate £50/60 a day and they earn ok money!

Connect up as for second fix ( we use wago 3 and 4 lever connectors ) carry out dead tests ( IR , R1 RN , R1/R2 record results . take off wago's a stick em back in the box for re use :D

How much do you get and how much time i'm a bit lost here is there any jobs going i could do with a stress free life,faultless second fixing easy peasy

Never heard of anyone routinely testing a first fix either. I've done it if there is likey to have been a problem, but every installation you do?!:eek:

Im getting 1200 quid first fix 3 storey house and 1200 quid 2nd fix 15 houses at the mo
I must be living on another planet

Im getting 1200 quid first fix 3 storey house and 1200 quid 2nd fix 15 houses at the mo
I must be living on another planet

Is that labour only? are you doing it for yourself or subbing it? how long is it taking? It also depends on the spec ,houses I was doing were basic terrace ones .
Price depends on supply and demand at the time I could get guys to do houses now for £100 ,but I wouldnt do it as its not right.

Reply to New build sparkys in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock