Currently reading:
outside light stopped working??

Discuss outside light stopped working?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

watson789

Hi all

i have a problem with my outside light. i am doing a bit of moving around near the consumer unit and have put a new on/off switch on - this has 2 switches 1 for the back and 1 for the side light both worked fine before i put any new switches on.i switched the consumer unit off i then snipped the wires shorter (as i was moving the wire to a closer point) and then shuffled all the wires back a little into the conduit. i tested the on/off switch and it worked fine and so did the lights (both of which are on a sensor)... i then went to switch them off at the consumer unit again to tidy up and screw everything in.

5 minutes later i go to switch them on and the back floodlight comes on but the side light doesnt - i have tried switching the switches round and the back still works but the side doesnt come on!

help!!! i am out of ideas - i have looked around and cant see anything wrong, i have checked the switch with a neon screwdriver and there is current flowing through it ( on both switches)

does anyone have any idea why the side light has suddenly stopped working???

have been and checked every connection to make sure there is noting loose, i have tried a differnet switch and also tried it again when not secured into the back box and still no luck!

its strange because the switch is a 2 way double pole and 1 switch is connected to the back floodlight which works fine in which ever switch i place it in but the side light doesnt seem to work in either!

im totaly puzzled... is ther anything really simple im missing???

i havent touched the sensor for while espercially not today.

Last edited by a moderator:
have been and checked every connection to make sure there is noting loose, i have tried a differnet switch and also tried it again when not secured into the back box and still no luck!

its strange because the switch is a 2 way double pole and 1 switch is connected to the back floodlight which works fine in which ever switch i place it in but the side light doesnt seem to work in either!

im totaly puzzled... is ther anything really simple im missing???

i havent touched the sensor for while espercially not today.

Try putting the switched side for your side light into the feed side for your back light.

Do you need to link a feed across between your 2 switches or have you 2 seperate feeds?

Reply to outside light stopped working?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock