Search the forum,

Discuss PIR codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

if 50mm depth is a code 1 where would it all stop?? someone MIGHT spur off a ring main with bell wire so a 32A mcb would be over rated so lets code 1 incase they do that??
if your doing PIRs there are some situations everyone has comeacross where you scratch your head but majority are in GN3 OSG and other publications like the ESC one IQ has linked to

Yes I see were you are coming from. I will have a good read, and revise the PIRs. So if there was nothing wrong with the property other than that, would a code 4 that make it satisfactory? In one of them there is a halogeon spotlight fitting in the bathroom, half of it hanging over the bath. Code 2? No means of isolation for cooker other than the MCB at the consumer unit Code 2? Kitchen Light fitting un earthed Code 1?

Current guidelines say 'unsatisfactory' assessment for a report with code 1 or code 2 defects.

I have to say that I'm amazed that you're asking this especially as you say that you're carrying out PIR's and I'm also amazed that you've never stumbled upon the guidance?

I have, I have downloaded all of the best practice guides its just I didnt think to consult them when carrying out these. I was just thinking about it too much. Thanks for your help and putting me back on the right track.

I have, I have downloaded all of the best practice guides its just I didnt think to consult them when carrying out these. I was just thinking about it too much. Thanks for your help and putting me back on the right track.

No problem, they're good guides and always give you something to point to if you ever need a bit of back-up.

Current guidelines say 'unsatisfactory' assessment for a report with code 1 or code 2 defects.

I have to say that I'm amazed that you're asking this especially as you say that you're carrying out PIR's and I'm also amazed that you've never stumbled upon the guidance?

Hi IQ
great advice as usual

so if code 1 immediatley isolate and requires urgent attention with a unsatisfactory on the report would you include a danger notification with the pir
code 2 requires improvement but does not need isolating
when recommending interval for next pir if the pir you carried out was having the obsevations and recommendations corrected then is it down to the inspector to decide next interval would you give a shorter interval for the next inspection and test to see if the necessarry works had been completed
then if its been carried out give a new pir with a increased interval or is ai all down to the inspectors
discretion

The interval between inspections is always subject to rectification of all code 1 and code 2 defects and it also depends on the age, type of use, quality of maintenance of the installation etc.

When you think about it, as the inspector, you are saying 'this installation is satisfactory for continued service' and by specifying the next inspection date, you are sticking your neck out somewhat!

It would have to be an immaculate, fairly new domestic installation for me to go anywhere near the recommended interval of 10 years!

It's a similar deal on commercial for a full 5-year interval.

cheersmate but if you are just carrying out the pir, you may not get the remedial works so you would leave them a pir with a code 2 and limit the interval to 3 months and recommend they get it rectified as soon as possible

cheersmate but if you are just carrying out the pir, you may not get the remedial works so you would leave them a pir with a code 2 and limit the interval to 3 months and recommend they get it rectified as soon as possible

The recommended interval until the next inspection should be made conditional upon all the Code 1 and Code 2 departures being rectified without undue delay.

You can put that on your report or in a covering letter to the person ordering the work.

Stickers should still be applied to DB's with the your chosen 'next inspection due' date.

yes this is what i was referring to Iq

conditional upon them being rectified so if not rectified then the report and interval not valid if not rectified
cheers Iq you have a wealth of knowledge you just jogged my memory last june exam was a while ago lol
just got used to these regs and somebody is changing them lol

I use easycert and overprint my unsatisfactory certs with the word 'unsatisfactory'

It's not the first time someone has tried to tippex out the 'un' from unsatisfactory and hand it in

This way they can't do it easily. It also galvanises the mind of the landlord when you hand the tenant a copy (after giving the landlord time to respond)

There is no requirement for Consumer Units to be protected by an RCD, so no code at all.
You should note and code each instance where RCD protection is required, but is not present
For instance:
for circuits of a location containing a bath or shower,
for socket-outlets intended for general use by ordinary persons,
for socket-outlets used for mobile equipment outdoors,
and for cables concealed in walls at a depth less than 50mm.
Most would warrent a code 4 or 2, depending upon how dangerous you consider the lack of RCD protection to be, and to which edition the installation, and any additions or alterations were conducted to.

hi guys was wondering what code you would give a consumer unit with no rcd protection??? code 1 0r 4???
demetri

Hi Demetri,

Have you carried out many periodic inspections?

Your questions worry me slightly, talking of 'consumer units without RCD protection' , '60898 fuses' and then deliberating between a code 1 and a code 4 to allocate to a defect?

Maybe your questions are academic and you're doing the 2391-10?

Reply to PIR codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock