Discuss PIR codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

I went to the IET presentation yesterday about the first amendment. Brace yourselves for the new 'Condition Report' to replace the PIR. It has its own Schedule of Inspections / Tests which look much more detailed, but they've ditched the Code 4 'does not comply but don't worry'. Google 'IET wiring regulations 2008 amendment' to have a look at the draft which includes other stuff like the new special location. Get ready with your sterilised meter probes!

Hi RexT

Code 2
19. Anyone circuit has an insulation resistance of less than 20 kilo ohms?
I take it this is a typo?
230/20,000 = 11.5mA
I think I'd call it a code 1 and disconnect it.
Or are we talking about Neutral to Earth?

I tend to agree with Devlin

Hi Semaphore,

Thanks, Yes possibly, I think I got the info from the NICEIC inspection and testing book which is very good for getting to grips with testing.
Though I think that the main point is that it has to have sufficent resistance and I guess that has always to be in keeping with the regulations BS7671.
Thanks again,

Best wishes

Rex

some of them seem very odd, but would recamend the niceic book on domestic periodic inspection testing and reporting (updated to 17th edition) very good on codes infact spot on

If you undertake a PIR in a domestic property and identify a shower circuit does not have a 30mA RCD on it but is cross bonded what code would you give this?

Your oppinion on coding these please.. (16th ed Split load CU)

Grid plate in kitchen, Has "washing machine" & "Boiler" behind the grid plate is 2 different circuits, The washing machine is on the RFC, and is RCD protected, also behind the grid id the boiler circuit which is not RCD protected (On main switch side).. Is this worthy of a code?

In the kitchen is a FCU with the label "Cooker" on it, The feed into this is off the RFC, the load side out is in 1.0mm but can not trace where it is going too... Code 3 ????

Above the cooker up high level in the kitchen is a single blank plate, Behind is a 1.0mm t&e in a connector block, Although every circuit is on and switches in the kitchen switched on i cant seem to liven this t&e at all.. Worthy of a code..?

Also on the outside wall is a extractor fan grill, but in the kitchen opposite the grill is no fan! if you tap the wall it feels hollow, as if there was a fan but has now been boarded over.. But surely there will have been a feed there at some point for a fan... But can see any isolator in the kitchen for any type of extractor fan.. Is this worth mentioning on the report?

Last one...

There was an old garage feed that has now been dissconected out of the CU, no MCB, no label, No signs of there ever being a feed for a detached garage.
but there is an SWA on the outside of the house with the lid off the IP box with conductors showing at one end, and on the garage there is the other end of SWA terminated in an IP box with the lid on but it is not fixed correctly to the wall... Is this worth mentioning or if a cable is dissconnected at both ends and not in service do you just ignore it?

Some of these maybe simple to some of you, I dont pretend to know it all and im always learning, especially when it comes to PIR coding.. I will be getting more and more periodics to do so i want to be sure on my coding and i know this is the place to come for advice...

The PDF that Steve has sourced is the ESC version 2a - and is the same version as on their website. It blabbers on about sockets likely to be powering outdoor equipment. I wish the ESC ( or a another ) would issue a more recent version that addresses the issues TODAY. For Example is the lack of an RCD on the lighting circuit a Code 1 , Code 2 , Code 3 or Code 4. Please help ...

The PDF that Steve has sourced is the ESC version 2a - and is the same version as on their website. It blabbers on about sockets likely to be powering outdoor equipment. I wish the ESC ( or a another ) would issue a more recent version that addresses the issues TODAY. For Example is the lack of an RCD on the lighting circuit a Code 1 , Code 2 , Code 3 or Code 4. Please help ...

Reply to PIR codes in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net