Discuss Plasterboard ceiling fixing solutions in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Just feel through the insulation for the first joist, and crawl it. Cut through the insulation where you need, bish bash bosh. I'd wear a mask, and be prepared for an itchy evening - it's not the end of the world. Don't know how long you've been doing this, mate, but you're going to have to get used to putting faith in the idea that the joist should be there.....

If you're worried, lay a 6' plank of timber across the top of the insulation across the direction of the joists. You may need two if yoy want to bucket brigade them to the point. Shove a long rod (I use a couple of fish rods) up through the hole where you want the fan, take a joist, kitchen bread knife, hammer, saw and some decent nails up there with you. The rod will likely fall so make sure there's nothing to damage underneath when it does.

If you're worried, lay a 6' plank of timber across the top of the insulation across the direction of the joists. You may need two if yoy want to bucket brigade them to the point. Shove a long rod (I use a couple of fish rods) up through the hole where you want the fan, take a joist, kitchen bread knife, hammer, saw and some decent nails up there with you. The rod will likely fall so make sure there's nothing to damage underneath when it does.

I'd use screws, hammering nails into the joist can spring the plastrboard fixing leaving you with holes in the artex.

PS careful laying boards across the f/g insulation when it's that thick, I have pushed a ceiing down doing that :)

if youve got a light that will allow it, drill as large a hiole under the light as you can, and then push a block of wood into this hole. screw through the plaster board into the wood. then this sill hold it in place, so that you can screw your light to it. its the same way that you canm access voids to find cable in plasterboard walls, and patch them up after.

as othres have said, in this situation there is no real substitute for a noggin though, as those fans can put a lot of strain on the fixings

Reply to Plasterboard ceiling fixing solutions in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net