Search the forum,

Discuss pulling main fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dean7828

hi just wondering if you can become qualified to pulling a main fuse so to isolate a distribution board, i know its supposed to be done by the suppliers, is there anyway around this?

thanks in advance

Legally you can't pull the fuse and there is always a great debate about this. As far as becoming qualified then the only way would be to join a DNO.

Do electricians pull fuses, then that it up to the individual electrician but again if you do then it can be classed as tampering. How is that for fence sitting.

hi just wondering if you can become qualified to pulling a main fuse so to isolate a distribution board, i know its supposed to be done by the suppliers, is there anyway around this?

thanks in advance

Suppliers have their own requirements, Scottish Power SOMETIMES allow this after attending their half day £145.00 course:

Course Details
Course Code A3012
Course Title A3012 - Insertion & Removal of LV cut out fuses - Half day
Who Should Attend This course is aimed at personnel who have responsibility to carry out electrical duties associated with ScottishPowers Service positions: Whilst this course also includes the insertion, removal and replacement of ScottishPowers’s cut-out fuses on unmetered supplies, it should be noted that this course does not automatically lead to an authorisation to work on ScottishPowers’s network or apparatus. Authorisation has to be obtained from the Authorisation Section within EnergyNetworks
Objectives
  • State and outline their legal duties
  • Appreciate the principles of electrical safety
  • Apply safe systems of work
  • Apply safe systems of work such as risk assessment
  • Safely Install and Remove LV Cut Out Fuses
Programme
  • Legal requirements
  • Practical tests
  • Assessment
  • Supply systems
  • Risk assessment
  • Types of faults
Subject to VAT Yes at 20%

I agree with J@mes.....

If you do find the seal on the floor just make sure to put something in so it can't just open when someone goes into the cupboard for the mop and bucket etc.

thought we just had that problem here in Spain, I always thought it was the heat that was rotting the seals on the fuses, Thats what always happens here, They just fall apart when you touch them with a pair a cutters ........he he

i usually find that the seals have been eaten by killer whales!

either way, you only got to stamp on the floor for the fuse to pop out.

cool thanks guys I guess ill pull it and plead ignorant, it was already like that officer!

Ah, We got him. dean has admitted on an open forum that he intends to interfere with dno equipment
There's enough witnesses here for me to collect the reward money for shopping him I expect

:)

I for one wish ADVICE on pulling of DNO fuses wasnt taken so lightly series7 fuses are "pullable" although I havent seen anyone mention what to do with the bit hold the fuse carrier fits in but without seeing what it is the person intends to pull I wouldnt advise it Some of the older style bakolite ones can crumble or crack the backing when pulled older cast heads can have exposed live parts before fuse removal and when the fuse is removed this leaves a large expanse of exposed live

From the other side DNOs should run courses for electricians and give them a method of reporting other than the way it is atthe moment with every DNO having its own set of rules and methods of what is essentialy Isolation

As an aside, before working on the neutral block from the supply, after testing for live, do people recommend creating a temporary earth path to neutral prior to working it in case a fault occurs on the neutral? I know we need to treat neutral as live, but as there is no isolation other than neutral, how can we decrease risk whilst working a supply neutral?

No. but I am working on the consumer side here, not the supply side.

You were talking about working on the 'supply neutral' I don't understand your question, you say 'there is no isolation other than neutral' I'm lost, please explain.

Reply to pulling main fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back