Discuss Replacing porch light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
New home owner here diy. I went to replace the porch light and didn’t take note to how the wiring was attatched before removal so know when going to install new fixture I’m left with 2 sets of romex(black, white, and bare) but there’s also an additional black wire by itself that I’m not sure where I should attach it to.
The set up is : front porch pole light and a wall porch light both controlled by the same switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you remember if this additional black was actually connected.

It is pretty much impossible to say where you should connect it. No contact voltage testers are unreliable when trying to prove if something is live or dead.

It is pretty much impossible to say where you should connect it. No contact voltage testers are unreliable when trying to prove if something is live or dead.
Now that I’ve been thinking about it I’m pretty sure that it was wrapped with the ground wire. Is it possibly whoever wired it originally just used spare black wire as a ground?

Without some testing it is impossible to say you may have to seek professional help.

Reply to Replacing porch light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, I'm wondering if it's permitted to replace an outside wall light myself if I use the existing wiring from the old light. In theory I just...
Replies
Views
I am adding a light fixture in a room I am restoring in my 160 yo house. I have ran a new 12-2 w/ground wire from the ceiling box to a junction...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m new to the forum. Thanks for letting me join. Asking for some diy advicd… I’m trying to add a couple more security lights to the existing...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to replace an old ceiling light with a new one. My current connection has 3 wires and not sure how I should be wiring this...
Replies
Views
I bought this house a couple months ago. It was built in 1952 (same as me) but has been rewired with yellow 12 awg Romex dated 2007. Looks like a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock