Search the forum,

Discuss Rings or Radials .... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

well yeah unless you want the whole board tripping in the event of a neutral-earth fault...RCBO trips, as it's solid neutral the neutral isnt disconnected so takes out the upfront time delayed RCD.

My memory is a bit hazy, but I recall the 18th draft mentioning something about this subject? Guess division of installation would still have to be considered.

Tried my fist SBS DP rcbo board this month, and am quite pleased with it. Mine was on a TT system, and I used a time delayed 100mA RCD as the main switch. The install was made easier and looked neat without all the wandering tails and functional earth leads from the rcbo's. Good price and quick delivery.

What’s the thinking behind this?

Cheers

In a dual RCCB board you have the brown and blue link leads between the main switch and the RCCB's and neutral bars IF any of these were to come adrift or melt or be nibbled, and come into contact with the metal, then the only protective device is the service head fuse, and on TT you can be pretty sure you wont have a low enough Zs to allow enough current to flow to blow it so it will just sit there live all day long. in this instance the 100mA type s gives those internal link wires fault protection, and also maintains discrimination from your 30mA RCCB's.

With a full RCBO board there are none of these internal links so no need for upfront protection, and as somebody mentioned if you use single pole RCBO's and DO fit an upfront 100mA type S RCCB, you havn't got discrimination as the neutral will be left in circuit if the RCBO trips which could trip the 100mA.

In both instances a gland should be used on the incoming tails.

Reply to Rings or Radials .... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock