Discuss Solar inverter problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Oh and this is a relatively new concept as its wants to power the critical loads "off grid" - this would require a bit of re-jigging of the fusebox / a second fusebox - so i am now curious how they did it :)

Solar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_110911 - EletriciansForums.netSolar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_111206 - EletriciansForums.netSolar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_111516 - EletriciansForums.netSolar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_111133 - EletriciansForums.netSolar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_111019 - EletriciansForums.netSolar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_110949 - EletriciansForums.net
Oh and this is a relatively new concept as its wants to power the critical loads "off grid" - this would require a bit of re-jigging of the fusebox / a second fusebox - so i am now curious how they did it :)
Hi I'm glad it's a good system just a pity it doesn't work ?
We have a very old fuse box and i did ask them if it should be changed, but they said no they were just adding a small one just for the system. See photos. Then when the battery didn't charge, the instal manager said it was due to the old fusebox, had the same problem at his place, he said. Just turn the clamp. As I said, that worked to charge the batteries but did not stop the other problems not did it allow the batteries to be used.

View attachment 86948View attachment 86949View attachment 86950View attachment 86951View attachment 86952View attachment 86953

Hi I'm glad it's a good system just a pity it doesn't work ?
We have a very old fuse box and i did ask them if it should be changed, but they said no they were just adding a small one just for the system. See photos. Then when the battery didn't charge, the instal manager said it was due to the old fusebox, had the same problem at his place, he said. Just turn the clamp. As I said, that worked to charge the batteries but did not stop the other problems not did it allow the batteries to be used.
Solar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_111842 - EletriciansForums.net

I think i can see the critical load connection, it is marked A/C Backup, there is also one labelled A/C Grid, be interesting to see where those cables from Solis actually go. They should go to separate "fuse boxes" and did they ask you what you wanted wrt stuff to keep on if there is a power cut, maybe lights ?

I think i can see the critical load connection, it is marked A/C Backup, there is also one labelled A/C Grid, be interesting to see where those cables from Solis actually go. They should go to separate "fuse boxes" and did they ask you what you wanted wrt stuff to keep on if there is a power cut, maybe lights ?
Hi thanks. The wires come down through the ceiling in a conduit (another gripe). No they did not ask. Electrician had loads of problems getting the wires down from the cupboard upstair to the meters in the hall. One new fuse box. I'll try and take a video when I get home, I took one but don't seem to be able to find it ?

Ok but i dont have knowledge of that model to help diagnose the problem but i can see its not right. It is either the CT is not giving an accurate account of the grid incoming / outgoing or the parameter settings on the solis are not right. I have had similar problems with batteries not either charging or discharging but it was a much more complicated system involving multi vendor. As this is all Solis, it should work almost out of the box. The installer needs to come to site preferably when he can call tech support for assistance. When he does come back you can ask him what loads are on backup... :)

Ok but i dont have knowledge of that model to help diagnose the problem but i can see its not right. It is either the CT is not giving an accurate account of the grid incoming / outgoing or the parameter settings on the solis are not right. I have had similar problems with batteries not either charging or discharging but it was a much more complicated system involving multi vendor. As this is all Solis, it should work almost out of the box. The installer needs to come to site preferably when he can call tech support for assistance. When he does come back you can ask him what loads are on backup... :)
Thank you IF they come back. They are not answering me now?

Solar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_183629 - EletriciansForums.netThank you IF they come back. They are not answering me now?
Ok so I've taken more photos. The wires come down and into the new fusebox can't see wires going into the counter showing import and export, but it's right up against their fuse box.
Two grey wires come out of their fuse box into the two small boxes on top of our fuse box. Earth wire goes to the earth and a clamp with black and white wires clamps onto the red wire that goes into the fuse box.
Whilst I understand you cannot give me a solution, you have helped me know that the system is a new kind of inverter and you said it was 'nice', putting my mind at rest that isn't a bad system. As it is new type, I am assuming this is why they are having a few problems. I know what to say to them, thanks to you. I'll let you know what happens ?Solar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_183537 - EletriciansForums.netSolar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_183606 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Solar inverter problem? IMG_20210620_183640 - EletriciansForums.net
    IMG_20210620_183640.jpg
    270.8 KB · Views: 16
Well solis are massive in the inverter market and an integrated single box solution for battery storage (now with off-grid working) is basically what has been needed in the market. FWIW Solar companies can be hit and miss with respect to service. When this system is working you will be impressed how the battery fills in the cloudy moments and extends the solar day. Hope it works out

Well solis are massive in the inverter market and an integrated single box solution for battery storage (now with off-grid working) is basically what has been needed in the market. FWIW Solar companies can be hit and miss with respect to service. When this system is working you will be impressed how the battery fills in the cloudy moments and extends the solar day. Hope it works out
Thank you ?

Thank you ?
You were completely correct.
After corresponding with you, I contacted Solis in the UK outlining the problem. I received a very quick reply from their engineer, who also happened to be the UK manager and he said straight away it seemed the installer had had problems.
Cut a long story short, the installer came out on Tuesday, reluctantly as they thought nothing was wrong. However after about an hour of trying the clamp in different places and unplugging the fridge freezers, he could see , hooray, there was a problem. So he tried to contact the engineers but was unsuccessful. I emailed the engineer and he spoke to the installer. He went into the system over the internet, got back to the installer, told him what to do and bingo it's working. Still the readout is a little strange at times, but as you say, even today the batteries have been charged quickly even though it is cloudy. Best thing is, we've only used 1kwh from the grid since Tuesday and that will be due to the kettle and oven being used later in the evening
Need to get a slower kettle to maximise the solar . At the moment very pleased with it ?

Glad its sorted, batteries must discharge overnight if they do not you may be charging from the grid.
Here is a pic of the one i had issues with
Hi yours looks a similar problem, it just doesn't make sense.
The batteries are discharging overnight now, and in fact they supplement the power a tad in the day if needed and charge back up with the solar.
I can change the time the batteries charge, but for now I'm leaving well alone. Once the new supplier is in place I'll look at the battery charge times.
I'm keeping a close eye on things, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction ?

Ok update. After 12 days of the system working (although still had problem with the usage showing zero in the evening) the system reverted back to the original problem. Eventually after much back and forth with the Solaris people and the installer, the installer decided it was the emeter at fault, it was loose. I tightened screws to find something was amiss, it was ok one second next it wasn't. Then after a few days the emeter stopped working. Eventually it was changed, but now the battery does not run the fridges and freezers overnight - the grid does. Installer says the batteries only kick in if we use .30 to .50kwh, so we will use the grid. Why have batteries if they won't kick in? They did when the system worked for 12 days. Used 1kwh every 4/5 days. Now using 2kwh overnight . ?. The inverter readout still does not add up either.

My posts 26 and 27 enquired about what is connected to the critical loads circuit, Is this the fridge , freezer you refer to. Without knowing this you will never be able to figure out what is what.

Can you take a pic of the display again

My posts 26 and 27 enquired about what is connected to the critical loads circuit, Is this the fridge , freezer you refer to. Without knowing this you will never be able to figure out what is what.

Can you take a pic of the display again
H yes I can.

It has been changed though so that the only one it goes through is the house not the backup light symbol.

This was done previously and it worked well for twelve days

Then when the emeter was changed, the installer changed it to show the house and the backup.

That's when the usage overnight was 2-3 kWh for the fridge and freezer

I asked to change it back to how it was when it worked for 12 days ie house.

I have just changed it back.

See photo.

Attachments

• Solar inverter problem? 1626535078183 - EletriciansForums.net
    1626535078183..jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 11

Reply to Solar inverter problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock