Search the forum,

Discuss SWA cable supplying a shed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

ta-electrical

Hi, just need to have a question answered;

I am putting in a split board consumer unit in the house and supplying a SWA 6mm cable to an outside shed - supplying a 30mm RCD board which will have a ring main on and a lighting circuit. The SWA cable will be buried all the way through the garden atleast a foot down.

Question : The SWA cable in the house on the main consumer unit should it have a 32amp MCB or a 32amp RCBO - note that it will not be on the main split board itself so, a fault would not trip supply to the shed.

Thanks.

If you are putting an RCD in the shed I would not stick it an RCBO.;) Just a thought...if you are putting a new board in why not just stick on the non-rcd side (before the RCD).

You have to have discrimination.

Also only earth the SWA at one end.

Cheers

Hi, just need to clarify that last bit.

The SWA cable is 3-core so it has earth in it, will i still need to earth the SWA cable?

If yes, then what exactly do you mean by "only earth the SWA at one end" ?
Would it mean i could earth it on the RCD side in the shed?

I will connect the earth in the SWA to the main earth terminal in consumer unit in the house to provide earth in shed.
So, i will earth the SWA sheath in the RCD in the shed so, it will be earthed at one end.

If there was an earth fault in the SWA cable, will it trip the consumer unit in the house?

Thanks, i appreciate your reply.

I am going to earth the SWA cable at the main consumer unit side in the house. Connecting the SWA cable to the main earthing terminal block and not inside the consumer unit. Is that correct ?

I will be taking a seperate earth in the SWA to the outside shed distribution board and not connecting SWA to anything on this side to avoid parallel paths.

Thanks to all for replies, they are highly appreciated!

Not sure how you intend on connecting the swa to the earth block, but I would install a metal clad box to connect the swa to then from that run a fly lead to the earth block. :D

Reply to SWA cable supplying a shed in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock