Discuss Feeding LogCabin from Shed CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have supplied my Shed with a 6mm SWA cable into a nice consumer unit. In there I have a 6Amp MCB for the lights and a 16 A supplying a single socket for a freezer unit. I also have an additional 32 Amp (idle).
Now I have a log cabin 10m away. I am going to install a new consumner unit in the LogCabin and feed it from the 32 Amp MCB via a 4mm SWA cable. This Log cabin CU will have the same stuff (perhaps a 16Amp RCBO for 2 Radial sockets and a 6 Amp RCBO for lighting.

Regardless of it being notifiable etc , any suggestions objections are welcome.

Thanks!

Now I have a log cabin 10m away. I am going to install a new consumner unit in the LogCabin and feed it from the 32 Amp MCB via a 4mm SWA cable. This Log cabin CU will have the same stuff (perhaps a 16Amp RCBO for 2 Radial sockets and a 6 Amp RCBO for lighting.
Sub ing off a 6mm not very practical.
SWA cable average 46 amps, depends how it installed.

Lots of unknowns here, but if a registered spark will sign this off it might be an idea to involve him in the design.
Thanks for your advice. I have made the attached drawing to show what the intention is. Can you check please.
I would like to do the job myself and get it certified by a registered electrician. Please ignore missing details, I just wanted to check the principal of the thing.
New consumer units.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not a design I'd propose, but I don't know the specifics of this job. There's no point in ploughing ahead only to find whoever's expected to sign it off refusing to do so.

Few electricians will sign off 3rd party work and none should do so without verifying a considerable amount of detail. If you don't already have someone lined up, now is the time to do so and have them involved from the outset.

It's not a design I'd propose, but I don't know the specifics of this job. There's no point in ploughing ahead only to find whoever's expected to sign it off refusing to do so.

Few electricians will sign off 3rd party work and none should do so without verifying a considerable amount of detail. If you don't already have someone lined up, now is the time to do so and have them involved from the outset.
Understand, but what design would you propose, what do you think should/could be done differently? I think it complies with the 18th BS 7671. I have not worked as an electrician for 30 years now :cool:.

I know nothing of the proposed installation, beyond what has been posted, and on that basis wouldn't make any recommendations.

I'm not sure why you don't want to involve the electrician who will ultimately sign off the work, but doing so remains the best advice I can offer.

Hi guys,

I have supplied my Shed with a 6mm SWA cable into a nice consumer unit. In there I have a 6Amp MCB for the lights and a 16 A supplying a single socket for a freezer unit. I also have an additional 32 Amp (idle).

Regardless of it being notifiable etc , any suggestions objections are welcome.

Thanks!
why are you notifying it? no one is allowed to come into my house to check my Electrical system lol, if you used to be a spark as you mentioned and know what you are doing then just get on with it. Okay back to the job, one thing I would say is whether the supply to the cabin at 4mm2 may be a little small and maybe a 6mm2 would be better, a freezer and light in the first shed is literally no load so there is some capacity for the log cabin, I would not go smaller than the original shed supply but that's me, by the way a lot of guys on here are newly out of college so my comments may shock them but lets be honest here, if it is your house then do what you want, just disconnect everything before you move hehe.

why are you notifying it? no one is allowed to come into my house to check my Electrical system lol, if you used to be a spark as you mentioned and know what you are doing then just get on with it. Okay back to the job, one thing I would say is whether the supply to the cabin at 4mm2 may be a little small and maybe a 6mm2 would be better, a freezer and light in the first shed is literally no load so there is some capacity for the log cabin, I would not go smaller than the original shed supply but that's me, by the way a lot of guys on here are newly out of college so my comments may shock them but lets be honest here, if it is your house then do what you want, just disconnect everything before you move hehe.
Because it needs notifying it would be inappropriate to suggest otherwise.

Because it needs notifying it would be inappropriate to suggest otherwise.
I wouldn't notify a supply to a shed in my house why would I, and I am sure there are millions of sheds un notified in the UK, I get your point but I wouldn't bother myself and lets be honest there are many people in the uk who wouldn't bother either, it is a shed, not a kitchen, not a bathroom, not school classroom, a shed and owned by the OP, not him doing a job for someone else, so yes ok I am inappropriate, but honest

So we're okay with encouraging folks to break the law now on this forum?

"By law, all homeowners and landlords must be able to prove that all electrical installation work meets Part P, or they will be committing a criminal offence. Local authorities can make homeowners or landlords remove or alter any work that does not meet the Building Regulations" - from Electrical Safety First website.

I know nothing of the proposed installation, beyond what has been posted, and on that basis wouldn't make any recommendations.

I'm not sure why you don't want to involve the electrician who will ultimately sign off the work, but doing so remains the best advice I can offer.
Thanks, reason for not involving an electrician in the physical job is as follows:
1. I do not wish to spend £2000 on something I can do myself.
2. If possible, I would like to do the job base on a registered electrician's recommendation and his supervision (paid), which may also allow me to get my experience assessed for registration with a professional body like NAPIT.

I have the qualifications (full NVQ from Denmark, Industrial, Commercial and Residential) + UK 18th Edition, Part P and testing.

I wouldn't notify a supply to a shed in my house why would I, and I am sure there are millions of sheds un notified in the UK, I get your point but I wouldn't bother myself and lets be honest there are many people in the uk who wouldn't bother either, it is a shed, not a kitchen, not a bathroom, not school classroom, a shed and owned by the OP, not him doing a job for someone else, so yes ok I am inappropriate, but honest
It is just because I used to live in Germany and I am used to abide by the law :) , or kind of scared of authorities :cool:

Cheers :) , I like that :cool:

I would like to do the job myself and get it certified by a registered electrician.

1. I do not wish to spend £2000 on something I can do myself.
2. If possible, I would like to do the job base on a registered electrician's recommendation and his supervision (paid), which may also allow me to get my experience assessed for registration with a professional body like NAPIT.
I would not like to sign off any body's work, but give me that £2000 grand and might think out it

I would not like to sign off any body's work, but give me that £2000 grand and might think out it
Sorry mate, I would't want to pay 2 K for sign off, I meant the complete installation + Materials etc. For certification test I already have a quote £180. :). Just a bit of supervision here is all I need because I have been away from this business for 25 years now

Reply to Feeding LogCabin from Shed CU in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net