Currently reading:
Tell us about your faults!

Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kung

Hi ALL
Just thought id put this one up for all those faults we find.
heres one to kick it off !
Domestic RCD tripped and wouldnt reset cause was a blown low energy light bulb.:D
There you go now for yours !

Re: Tell us about your faults !

This was a cal out to a government bulding with 5 staff working in offices above it. Yes they are 25 mil tails. in a metal box. The original contractors failed to put grommets in, hence what must of been a huge bang and flash.The tails fed the heating system, and the resulting bang luckily fried the contactor as well, making it non operational. We Removed the tails at source. We were paid for the emergency call out, however the original contractors were caled in to repair.

Attachments

• West wight landscapes 003.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 760

then there is the scary stuff they leave under the beds and the experiments that are growing in the fridge, and just think these are the people you will be voting for in 10 years or so :eek:

Too right mate.
I don't want to turn this into a student bashing thread but I've had some horrible experiences working in the homes of our future doctors, lawers etc.
This includes kicking many a stiff tissue out of the way in bedrooms and trying to undo work top high sockets in the kitchen but not being able to get enough purchase on the screws because my feet kept slipping on the grease covered floor.

Got a call out recently to a house. when i arrived they said that thier RCD for all the sockets would not stay on. So i asked them what all did they have plugged in when the RCD first tripped. They said only the fridge. I then unplugged the fridge. turned on RCD it stayed on. So i thought fault in the fridge. Thought i'll plug it back in to see if it trips again. Fridge plugged in and the RCD stays on. I was just about to leave when the RCD trips again. I asked his wife if she has just plugged anything in. she said no. RCD will not reset. I unplug fridge again, RCD will still not reset. Turns out his wife has plugged in an extension lead that is all burned and melted but she didn't think it could be it so thats why she didn't tell me bout it. :D

Jason the phase and neutral conductors are also going through seperate metal penetrations so watch for electromagnetic effects.
Thanks- I didnt attach the phot of the bottom of this contactor unit, but no Grommets fitted at all. What had happened was that the installer had left hiself no room to work properly, and when trying to route his tails, had jammed the outside of the tails to the metal casing, dislodging the grommetts as shown. Groms totally missing from the bottom entry points. This one was clearly an installation issue as the fault cause.

Just got this one today on a static caravan. Was taking a Ze inside the van at the CU during inspection, and the reading was off the scale. Tred again at the plug in supply and got the same. Only when I pulled the sheath back on the SWA did I find out why..........

Attachments

• IMAG0099.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 747

You may have a valuable archeological find stuck to that box
Has it been carbon dated ?
Looks like a prehistoric dafodil bulb to me:)

Why would someone hide it behind a shroud ?

Re: My fault !

Hi all new member here, hello! I thought i would post a problem i have, i have been asked to repair a shower that I didn't fit, it needs a new control board not a problem. However the shower is wired in 2.5 T+E on a 30 Amp fuse. If I repair the shower am I reponsable for the dangerous install which is 20 years old and the owner isn't that keen on changing as he has never a any trouble with it??? Think I know what everybody will say but you never Know.

Hi all new member here, hello! I thought i would post a problem i have, i have been asked to repair a shower that I didn't fit, it needs a new control board not a problem. However the shower is wired in 2.5 T+E on a 30 Amp fuse. If I repair the shower am I reponsable for the dangerous install which is 20 years old and the owner isn't that keen on changing as he has never had any trouble with it??? Think I know what everybody will say but you never Know.

Last edited by a moderator:

typical customer mentality, "it works fine don't know what your on about" don't put your name to something that could melt and cause you your good name and business unless they want to pay up and have the cable changed

As you have read, a shower s well capable of melting a 2.5. However, a customer will tell you it has been working ok for years etc. Probably got the heat setting on about half, which may be why the 2.5 has stood up for a while. Even if I couldnt pay the mortgage I wouldnt connect to this.

socket in the picture is live and in the middle of leeds city centre manager wont have it replaced and yes it is accessible to customers

Attachments

• Image(144).jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 737

Now that is beyond belief !!! That one has got me angry !! How much legal damage can we do to this shop ? Surely this shop is not safe for the public and should be closed till sorted- The health and safety exec have the powers to do this.

Now that is beyond belief !!! That one has got me angry !! How much legal damage can we do to this shop ? Surely this shop is not safe for the public and should be closed till sorted- The health and safety exec have the powers to do this.

I have passed on the information to the hse regarding shop address etc not holding my breath though

Came across a nice one today whilst carrying out a PIR in Slovakia.

3 phase & neutral overhead supply to main dist board via 100A main switch no MET or main earth to be found no RCD's installed.
Isolated DB and opened to find that the only earths connected to the earth bar where all from outgoing circuits no incoming earth or main bonding conductors.
Tested Zs at DB and got 0.59 ohms very strange has i have no incoming earth.
Done ELI at each earth seperatly until i found the 1 that was giving me the 0.59 ohm reading.
This cpc was from an immersion heater circuit which was wired in 2.5mm / 1.0mm T&E.
On finding the immersion found that a uninsulated earth was taken from the immersion and wrapped round a water pipe.
Needless to say installation is now isolated ( i am in the good books with the office workers) untill it is rectified quite a bit of work required to make it safe.
Install guys should be out tomorrow with required kit so should be up and going by Wednesday.

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back