Discuss Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Re: Tell us about your faults !

tried my best to live up the frame to fry my bosses head but no good health and safety being taken to extremes, i think he knew when i put barriers out, flashing beacons, and locked on, oh and patrolling security to guide him the right way.....what a mess!

Has this happened to anyone?
A friend of mine was doing a CU change and this what remains of a 16A mcb feeding a radial
Brand was wylex, all connections checked beforehand

Attachments

• mcb.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,402

Mate rang me last week with an "electrical emergency".
RCD fault narrowed down to downstairs ring with live earth short.
Took a few socket fronts off and found a pattress FULL of dirty orange slime and.........

A freshly fried slug accross the terminals!!!!!!!!

gotta start takin me camera to work!

I remember a call out a few years back where the occupant was
getting a 'tingle' every time he had a shower. It quickly transpired
that everything connected to earth was in fact live.
I confirmed this when I grabbed the dangling piece of bare 7044 masquarading
as an earthing conductor while my other arm was resting on the gas meter.
not so much a girly tingle as a slap in the face! I've not got through a whole
box of clamps in one sitting before.
The guy asked what could have happened if i'd not discovered the problem.
in the nicest possible way I told him his house was a faraday cage and just
needed an exit path to complete the circuit, hence the 'tingle'. I never saw
a mans face so white.

Attended Break down today, RCD tripping whole house, old style fuse board. Traced to downstairs ring. One leg reading poor insulation twixt phase and earth. Socket found to have 1 mil lighting cable in back off to two wall lights, pull cord. Metal ring from broken shade had been left in fitting, bridging E and live. Circuit removed, all well.

PAT testing in a kebab shop and plugged the machine into the socket near to where I was finishing tests. The Fluke 6500 has a self test on the supply and "alarmed" that there was no earth connection. On further investigation, I pulled the socket off the wall and just watch the pattress box drain of gloopy grease................

Earths strangelt were terminated in a chock block and not into the socket outlet!!!!!

Went around one of the girlfriends friends house on a night out we were all in the living room she was saying she had got through two laptops in as many months and the screens where never the right contrast. Looked at where she had it plugged into, some muppet had only made up a 4 gang extension lead and put a 5amp round pin plug on the end, the laptop was being dimmed:D.

Last edited by a moderator:

when to a call out with faulty immersion circuit,element shorted,checked supply side of switch no l-e no reading,zs test socket outlet same,fusebox ze test 763 ohms,oh dear this was on a tn-s supply no rcd just all re-wirables,fault on supply cable in road

was doing a central heating s plan,client said she was getting shocks off the sink,checked it out 90 volts sink-socket outlet earth,no gas or water bond,tt supply, old stlye voltage operated earth leage circuit breaker,you know the one with the yellow test button,hmmmmm,re-wirables,isloated circuit,turns out she had a lightning strike and it melted the cable,lol she said to me to touch the sink i said no ta thats why ive got a meter,on the same job some botchit and scarper had wired her a 4 way extension lead into the existing faulty circuit double socket with the 1.5mm flex as supplied,i had the pleasure of meeting said git,after politly asking client to get him back,he could not see what he had done wrong and even had on his business card electrcis/plumbing etc,unfortunatly i did not have my boxing gloves with me,but git said he would not do any mor sparks work,well i bleedin hope so.

Has anyone come across empty mcb`s. By this i mean just the casing with terminal top and bottom and a load of nothing in between. I got called to breakdown at old ladies house and her sockets had stopped working. She recently had full refurb done which tbo was quite good. Opened cu cover everyting tidy and properly terminated. So out came the multi meter and quick check found mcb with no power going through even though sw was in on position. I thought just straight forward replacement. I isolated cu and removed the mcb and its only when i lifted the new one that i thought hang on theres something different. I decided to take it to bits to see and found what looked like 5amp fuse wire across it that had fused causing loss of power. I asked the old lady and she gave me number of the spark who was decent and explained that he`d ordered stock through internet and had got box of duff mcb`s. He Paid my bill and sent letter of apology to the lady.

So to cut long story short has anyone else been caught out by this??

Has anyone come across empty mcb`s. By this i mean just the casing with terminal top and bottom and a load of nothing in between. I got called to breakdown at old ladies house and her sockets had stopped working. She recently had full refurb done which tbo was quite good. Opened cu cover everyting tidy and properly terminated. So out came the multi meter and quick check found mcb with no power going through even though sw was in on position. I thought just straight forward replacement. I isolated cu and removed the mcb and its only when i lifted the new one that i thought hang on theres something different. I decided to take it to bits to see and found what looked like 5amp fuse wire across it that had fused causing loss of power. I asked the old lady and she gave me number of the spark who was decent and explained that he`d ordered stock through internet and had got box of duff mcb`s. He Paid my bill and sent letter of apology to the lady.

So to cut long story short has anyone else been caught out by this??

I was shown thes on a course to highlight the need to be aware of cloned products entering the UK market. Basicaly what you have is an "on/off" switch in an MCB case. Basically why you should always buy your kit from a reputable source.

Reply to Tell us about your faults! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net