Search the forum,

Discuss The joys of being a bloody sparky! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

What a day

Monday mornings are bad enough without this!

have being testing an industrial site for a while now and nearing the end

So I'm testing low bay light fittings about 20 metres in the air

No probs I though and proceeded to take the genie bom up to the last fitting in the circuit

So I'm at the light fitting just away to undo the Klix when all of a sudden the fire alarm goes off in this factory where they run continuous production

So I'm 20 metres up in the air and my paranoid sparky instinct that kicks in every time a fire alarm sounds tells me "I hope that was nothing to do with me"

So I have a look around and notice this bloody laser beam at the end of the building staring at me, I turn around and see the reflector behind me

Bloody great!

It was a beam sensor smoke detection system right at the top of the factory where the light fittings are.

Now nobody had ever mentioned these things to me and there was no signage anywhere in the building informing contractors of the setup

So after about 2 minutes I finally manage to negotiate myself back down to the ground and exit the part of the factory towards the main gate where the entire workforce is waiting and I'm walking towards them harness and all.

By the time I get there there are two fully loaded fire engines on their way into the building.

So the factory manager approaches me and asks if I was up the Genie boom to which i just told the truth

So typical factory manager blames me to which i had to stand up for myself and declare that it was not my fault but in fact the health and safety officer who had originally inducted me first day on site and I stressed that this should have been part of his induction (instead of spending 10 minutes going on and on about how mobile phones aren't allowed on site!)

So anyway fire alarm finally stops, fireys leave, everyone back to work

Later in the day I hear through the grapevine that the factory hierarchy are going bananas because they have to pay a ridiculous amount for the fire service since it was a false alarm, and on top of that they have lost production time

What is you guys take on this?

ask the customer to put fire system on test at every job,also tell him he has to put it back live when your finished for the day,covers you then..

yeah but the trouble with that is that I have been there for two months and the factory has ATEX areas so isolating the alarm is a no no

they should have told you about the lasers. not your fault. another example of the suits passing the buck and trying to cover up their own incompetence.

Can they do that ?
What if there is a real fire , i don't mean to question you but that just sounds to easy .

of course,the customer can tell an arc what they want for that day,schools often have no brigade during school hours unless confirmed by school of a fire,due to the little darlings smashing break glasses to get out of lessons..

not your fault,h&s bloke should of told you,at least you will know for future lol,never happened to me but can imagine how you felt.i have done a tests previously where i did call the local firestation,and called them back afterwards to take off test.like the t shirt says s happens

A Monday morning **** up for me today also.

Started on a new site got there for around 7.15am was told site induction was at 8.10am with the main contractor in one of the cabins. Gets to the cabin at the said time and the ******* ***** of a ****** site manager locked me and this other bloke out so we tapped on window and he said your too late come back tomorrow! Then our cars were blocked cos the car parking facilities are a joke so we had to get a lift home and return end of day to pick cars up! Why are people like that arrogant **** always on a power trip!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to The joys of being a bloody sparky! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock