Discuss Thinking of self employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been reading quite a lot of threads around here and I hope to pick your brains with some thoughts I have been having.

I am a time served Electrical Engineer with 8 years experience working mainly industrial (installation/maintenance/testing/fault finding). I have done small amount of domestic work (assisting contractors).
I have been thinking for a while about going self employed and working as an electrical contractor. I understand that I would need to gain some qualifications in the domestic sector and also gain more experience working with domestic electricians.
Courses I would look into are Part P, Domestic installation, inspection & testing along with others. I know an electrical contractor who is happy for me to gain more experience with him.

My current employer are ok with me doing 'part time' work. My intent is to do this full time once established.

Just looking for some advice on my thoughts, what to do and what not to do.. doing a lot of research to see if this would be viable.
Thanks in advance.

Chris. Don't mate. Domestic is saturated and hard work. If you are genuinely effective at faulting and repairs on comm/industrial then get a job on a facilities maintenance firm. Fix something then do what you want for the rest of the day lol.

Thanks for the reply. I understand where you are coming from lol. I'm not one to shy from hard work.

In my area the industrial trade is a bit uncertain with things moving abroad. Sometimes its OK but sometimes jobs seem unsecured.

I know that working for yourself it is always unsecured in a sense that you may not always have work but it seems there is more work here for self employed contractors.
I know there would be work for me doing industrial/agricultural/domestic in my area.

Plus the money doing what I do isn't the best... especially when we are not guaranteed overtime or anything.

Reply to Thinking of self employed in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net