Currently reading:
Unsure about main bonding

Discuss Unsure about main bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

golfpaul

Hello.

Been asked to add bonding to gas, as British Gas has advised customer gas has no bonding.

Gas meter shows no signs of bonding, cannot see bonding to water either.

They have a shower cu which has a 10mm2 earth to it from the main earthing terminal - no other earth cables leave the MET which leads me to believe that neither gas or water are bonded...however:

With this 10mm2 from the shower connected to the MET, i get 0.00 to gas and 0.00 to water.

With the 10mm2 disconnected, i get a reading of 80v, and tester will not continue with continuity test.

There is a clamp of some sort near the stoptap, with bare cable running through the garage, where it appears to be broken in parts.

Does the gas and water need bonding, seeing as though i get a 0.00 with the shower cu 10mm2 connected to the MET.
And w
hy do i get 80v on shower cu 10mm2?

Ta.

Well i don't know what this AHJ is or what it's saying, but if you have a gas main coming into the property in a metal pipe, then it NEEDS bonding!! And if you don't know why, you shouldn't be playing around with electrical work in the first place!!

That's not true it is not needed And it could arc the metal gas pipe make a hole in it and cause an explosion

Come on, now you're just taking the pee!! lol!! You have just got to be a 17 day whizzer, or even one of these 5 day whizz kids someone mentioned the other day!! Your statement would be funny if it wasn't so bloody dangerous. For gods sake and your own, find another job, electric's isn't a game you should be playing with, especially in other peoples homes!!

Is a term for inspection. Who says you have to bond the gas pipe .
A very simple test will tell you whether the gas pipe needs to be bonded or not. My money is on it needing it, they usually do. Do you know how to carry out this test?
That's not true it is not needed And it could arc the metal gas pipe make a hole in it and cause an explosion
That is so unlikely as to be ridiculous mate, just about every building in this country which has a metal gas main entering it will have bonding to it and those that don't probably need it. If you think that this is a risk please explain where this information comes from so we can debate it.
Do you actually know the reason why services are equipotentially bonded or is it something that we do just for ****s and giggles so that we can waste some of our customers' money?

The OP or wind up merchant hasn't bothered to say what he is what quals and experience he has, which lends to to think wind up

Who is the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) for fire inspections? According to the NFPA, the AHJ is the organization, office, or individual responsible for ...

Definitely a USA term.

Reply to Unsure about main bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock