Discuss Unsure about main bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

golfpaul

Hello.

Been asked to add bonding to gas, as British Gas has advised customer gas has no bonding.

Gas meter shows no signs of bonding, cannot see bonding to water either.

They have a shower cu which has a 10mm2 earth to it from the main earthing terminal - no other earth cables leave the MET which leads me to believe that neither gas or water are bonded...however:

With this 10mm2 from the shower connected to the MET, i get 0.00 to gas and 0.00 to water.

With the 10mm2 disconnected, i get a reading of 80v, and tester will not continue with continuity test.

There is a clamp of some sort near the stoptap, with bare cable running through the garage, where it appears to be broken in parts.

Does the gas and water need bonding, seeing as though i get a 0.00 with the shower cu 10mm2 connected to the MET.
And w
hy do i get 80v on shower cu 10mm2?

Ta.

yes... gas and water need bonding. that's only part of it. what a bloody abortion.

Attachments

• 292900_ts.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 265
Hi,

I usually get into trouble when I mention Bonding on here, But this is my take on it anyway.
You say there is no evidence of any Bonding, but you get a reading to the MET from the Gas/Water pipes. Are they extraneous, that's the question you need to answer.
The reading you are getting is probally where there is an earth connection to a Boiler or Immersion , or something similar; and as we all know Earthing is not Bonding- they have different functions.

Finally, that set up in your picture looks a bit of a mess.

Regards.

a bit of a mess? it's a total shambles. a 5 year old could have done better. @OP. do the bonding as in BS7671, then sort that rat's nest out.

tin hats wont save the OP from a right royal flaming on this query.

the gas pipe entering the house is metal yes ?

if it was , i wouldnt be messing around with continuity tests looking for some excuse to just leave it like it is..

and the piddling bit of old earth wire in the last photo doesnt look like 10 or even 6mm to me.

course it bloody needs bonding , cant believe theres any doubt or discussion.

Gas meter shows no signs of bonding, cannot see bonding to water either.

Does the gas and water need bonding

Attachments

• flabbergasted.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 159
Thanks all!!

I was more unsure about the reading despite no visible bonding being present - and the voltage indicated.

Thanks for the tin hat MDJ

Maybe just how I've read this, also can't see the pic too well but I'm wondering. ..
You say no other wires coming from met other than 10mm to shower cu?
Anything going to the main CU???

Most likely a meter reader or a BG worker touting for business!!!

My next door neighbour has just had his gas meter moved and they reconnected the bond to the new position, it was fitted that good that the clamp slid down the pipe and the cable dropped out. They had cut the cable as the meter was nearer the CU and in doing so the crimp was no more and they bodged the connection !!

Reply to Unsure about main bonding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net