Search the forum,

Discuss VIR problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rocker

Been out to see a woman about her shower that 'blew a fuse'. Consumer unit is pre-rewirable, 1940s-50s cartridge fuses and in bloody bad shape. The shower cable itself is imperial PVC twin, but all other cable, including the tails, is vulcanised Indian rubber. I have told the woman essentially she needs a full rewire as soon as possible, and told her how much. She can't afford that right now, and asked if theres anything else I can do for the time being to get the shower working. Theres no way I can do a full board change on this stuff - I haven't touched it but it looks on the edge of collapse - but I'm thinking a shower unit MAY be a possibility, as shower cable is sound. The woman knows and accepts that the situation is potentially dangerous and that a rewire is what's needed, if I was to put in a shower board though (which to be honest the more I think of the more I think I'm just going to have to walk on this one) would I be liable for anything related to the VIR? Like is there some reason that I would HAVE to get it sorted to do anything else in the property? I know we shouldn't leave things that are 'dangerous', would this be offically classed as dangerous though? I personally think it's potentially a danger, but not sure what to do. Could certainly do with the work at the moment, that's for sure.

Any ideas?

Get the DNO to come and change the tails to the D.B but make sure your there and put in some henly blocks for you. Tap your shower box of that and report the rest in writing. you have covered your back as essentially your on a new D.b and you have advised client of urgent nature of there current wiring.

Nice one. When you say report in writing, do you mean in a letter to customer or do I need to report to anyone else like LABC?

Also, do you reckon DNO are going to be obliged to change the tails FOC or will the customer get charged the standard rate?

VIR ffs personaly I wouldnt fancy touching anything to do with it except a rewire as it will be so dry as to breakdown at the slightest movement Report in wrighting to her and keep your copy

No need to write a letter, noting the works required on the test certificates will suffice.

Customer gets a copy and you keep a copy, so you cover yourself.

Tails from double pole isolator to CU are consumers responsibility I think as dnos stuff finishes there and what about earthing ?? can of worms

Mooga if its a VIR instaal theres a stim chance there is a douple pole isolator its probbably straight from the meter into the D.B isolator. As its illegal to cut the meter seal its there problem. The dno installing a means to isolate whole supply is relativly new.
If its a cable change due to dangerous circumstances its there cables so there problem. it shouldnt cost anything . They will probbably put in an isolator so tap of that into henley blocks if you cant be there at same time.

Last edited:
Depends on the DNO as for putting it in writing I would record as much as possible on the EIC that way you are covered.

Chris

Think the meter tails from CO to meter are suppliers from meter to Cu is clients
Put in seperate CU for shower via henley block
Check earthing arrangements as well
Write letter on existing wiring condition with disclaimer attached keep copy for records
Davethesparks

Use 2 sets of henley blocks.one as a temprary connection of the vir out of the meter to joint a new set of tails ready for meter connection for them to supply your new shower board with its shiny new tails and the vir tails for the existing
Earthing and bonding to standard and a note in the comments box of your Eic you are supplying for the seperate installation

You are not responsible for the OTHER installation unless you work on it
A single means of isolation is not required because there is 2 seperate installations in the dwelling
The vir tails are temporary until the supplier does his thing
Perhaps leave the new board switched off until they do their bit with the meter connection and then get paid :)

Has nobody thought that the earthing has to be up to scratch before any installation work is completed? Reg 131.8 springs to mind...

Sorry, earthing is fine unbelievably, bonding is present but only looks like 4, maybe 6 dunno it's got about a ton of paint on it.

Thanks for the help so far, everyone. Got some pictrures on my phone but I don't know if they're gonna come out.

Has nobody thought that the earthing has to be up to scratch before any installation work is completed? Reg 131.8 springs to mind...

Des 56 has mentioned it in his post that's why i deleted my post.

Not that I would ever even dream about doing such a thing, but let's say somebody opened up the meter, how easy would it be to replace the tails, do you think?

Also, what about re-sheathing the tails with heatshrink or similar? Any reason not to?

if the cable head and meter seal were "found to be broken" its dead easy to change tails. pull fuse and away you go I would inform the DNO immediatly you found it but praise them on the quality of the 25mm double insulated cables that are there.

Rocker think you need to cover your self ,if the VIR is as old as you think you could be stickey situation i had a call to a house recently ,a socket getting hot ,looked pretty old install took the socket off as i pulled it from the wall all the insulation dropped off the cable it was arching had to sleeve it the best i could and very very gently ill tell you ,hadno choice but to issue a danger notification , and told her she needed an urgent rewire ,her son took her in and had words with social services and she got a grant to rewire , all happy now , you gotta be cruel to be kind mate ,at least youll sleep at night

Reply to VIR problems in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back