Currently reading:
Why Upgrade the Tails??

Discuss Why Upgrade the Tails?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Piratepete

Just done a domestic CU change. The cutout was 100 Amps (used to supply Economy 7 storage heaters but no longer). Existing tails 16sqmm. Therefore need to change to 25sqmm as normal.
But existing tails are routed out of the top of an external flush meter box up through the (uninsulated) wall cavity into the old Wylex FB which was mounted close to the ceiling other side of wall. Couldn't shift em let alone pull new ones through!

So, I've left em, and got the supplier to reduce the cutout size to 80 Amp at no cost to the customer or myself.
Unless I'm mistaken, taking all factors into account and Ref Method C the 16sqmm cables are rated at 87 Amps. If you also assume a 25 deg ambient they are good for 89.6 Amps.

In this case, could I also have just written a note in the 'Departures from BS7671' box? From a practical point of view, the original tails were never likely to get stressed!

If I'm not mistaken, this could also be a good wheeze to avoid changing the tails, which can be a costly exercise where they come directly out of the meter and an isolation switch is needed.:angel_smile:

Pete

Reply to Why Upgrade the Tails?? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock